Existing Member?

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Our 2nd day in Lima

PERU | Tuesday, 9 February 2010 | Views [307] | Comments [2]

Day #2 here in Lima, Peru.  I am trying to get used to typing on a Spanish keyboard but I cannot figure out how to use an apostrophe for contractions or smiley faces... hmmm,

ANYWAY, back to Lima!  HA!  It is beautiful here.  The weather is absolutely gorgeous.  It is warm, with a little breeze, and apparently it NEVER rains here.  NEVER.  But still it is green and there are lots of flowers and trees.  It is also very safe here, especially in the neighborhood where we are living.  We can walk EVERYWHERE.  We live in a very calm and quiet neighborhood where everyone knows each other and within 5 minutes walking distance, we can get to a number of grocery stores, the mall, movie theater, gym, laundromat... anything you could possibly need or want to go to.  I couldnt think of a better place to visit really.  It is great!

The Peruvian family we are staying with is a father and son, Paolo and Erik.  They are extremely funny and outgoing.  Both like to sing and laugh all the time.  They are very helpful and kind people.  Erik is my friend Giselle's (oh! I figured out the apostrophe!) boyfriend.  Giselle is here for 2 weeks with us and then has to go back to Brazil.  But it is so great being here with her right now.  She is helping us a lot and is working her super translation skills, portuguese, english, spanish... it's a riot!  So we have now entered the world of PortSpanglish.  Oh! What a world! Lol...

We visited a very popular district here in Lima today called Mira Flores.  Paolo drove us there.  It's about 20 minutes from the house and dropped me, Paris, and Giselle off there.  We walked through some beautiful gardens and then to a shopping center up on a cliff overlooking the ocean.  I think it was called LacaMar, or something close to that... I have to look the name of it up again.  Unfortunately we forgot to bring batteries for the camera, so we'll have to take pictures of it another day so that we can post them. 

Word of the day = Helada (cold). 

I was trying to buy a bottle of water at an ice cream stand and the woman kept saying helada? And I kept saying, no, agua, because I thought she meant heladO, which is ICE CREAM in Spanish.  So, heladA means cold and she wanted to know if I wanted cold water... thanks Giselle for helping me out with that one!

 

Comments

1

Glad to see you guys made it there safe. I am super happy to know the neighborhood is safe also. Sounds like you guys are having a blast. I can't wait to see pictures and to hear more funny stories of dealing with the language challenge. Also I am so jealous of the warm weather. It is cold and nasty back here in NC.

  Kathy Feb 10, 2010 8:01 AM

2

Sounds like lots of fun! Also sounds beautiful! Like NC, SC is cold and rainy too. Since you don't have a camera with good batteries, in the meantime I'm imagining the pretty cliff off the ocean :O) In my head it's beautiful! Love you! Talk to you soon!

  Taylor Feb 11, 2010 3:19 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.