Existing Member?

Sarah's Travels

Bye bye Bolivia, Aloha Argentina

ARGENTINA | Friday, 21 December 2012 | Views [300]

Taking photos on the salt flats is not as easy as it would seem!! You have to get everything lined up perfectly and in the glaring sun it is very tricky to actually see the camera viewfinder or sceen. Especially when you are lying flat on your front on wet salty ground. However, the recent rains also meant that part of the flats were flooded, so we could get some amazing reflection pics of the blue sky, fluffy clouds and mountains in the distance. We also stopped at an island in the middle of the flats with huge cacti, some 9m high and fossilised coral from when the area had been part of a giant lake reaching all the way to Lake Titicaca. During lunch, the rock I perched on decided to make a quick exit with me on it!! Luckily only got a few scrapes, but as it was on salt they really stung!!! Once we got back to town, went straight out for food followed by a few beers. So Uyuni doesn't win the worst town in Bolivia award. And neither does the stop over on the way to the border- Tupiza. Actually managed to have some decent Italian food and even got a Hawaiian pizza to takeaway for breakfast. We've now crossed the border into Argentina ans on reflection, Potosí is definitely the worst place in Bolivia. The crossing onto took 2.5hrs, which is apparently very good, previous groups have taken over twice as long. The first stop was a service station with clean toilets and a shop with coffee - welcome back to civilisation!!! First day in Argentina was spent riding horses around Tobacco fields (even managed a gallop!!), drinking surplus communion wine made monks in Cafayate (mix of merlot & cabernet sauvignon), eating as much steak as I could fit into my stomach with all the yummy side dishes (roasted squash, tomatoes, aubergines, green salad, beans and bread) and finally getting back to the campsite and jumping in the pool!! Not bad, until Montezuma's revenge hit and the lovely ratatouille and quinoa we had for dinner came up again :( Have spent today mostly recovering, eating empanadas and praying for the rain to go away (though it has made it cooler).

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.