Existing Member?

Sarah's Travels

Two towns in Bolivia not worth a visit..

BOLIVIA | Sunday, 16 December 2012 | Views [321]

Ok, so apart from a mine that hasn't changed its methods and conditions in 500 years, Potosí really doesn't have much to recommend itself. It is a small town with small streets which are rammed with people, even on a week day. This was no tourist spot, but 'real life' for Bolivians. I mostly spent the day wandering around being bored and eating which was a little hit and miss. Breakfast is not a meal the Bolivians seem to spend much time over as we could only find a couple of places open, even at 10am. Lunch was more succesful and if possible to say, a little more of an authentic experience - a vegeterian cafe which only served a set menu. I've also noticed the Bolivians have a habit of serving food on what we would consider side plates, but piled high. Maybe it saves on washing up...... Dinner was chicken and chips, which seems to be an Andean staple founs in every small town and was a winner - served piping hot with mayo & ketchup but no cutlery so you had to burn your fingers a little to get to the meat. Uyuni suffers from a similar fate as Potosí in that tourists only come here for one reason - the Salar de Uyuni - giant salt flats formed from the remains of a giant lake that used to Lake Titicaca. It is most famous for the ubiquitous perspective-bending photos of people with props or sitting in one person's hand or jumping over a 4x4 vehicle. Expect at least one or two to appear on here as long as I can coax the wifi into uploading them.

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.