Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Bangkok and Ko Phi Phi

THAILAND | Sunday, 20 January 2008 | Views [1955] | Comments [7]

Ko Phi Phi beach

Ko Phi Phi beach

Hi again everyone, 

Well we’re finally back on the road and glad to be reunited with long, hot evenings in Internet cafes – our little cockroach buddies have really been missing us! 

We decided to opt for a slightly more relaxed start to our trip this time around, flying into Thailand, where we’re hitting the beaches like the two big post-Christmas whales we have become (no, there will not be swimwear photos to accompany this entry!) 

The flight was pretty uneventful – the new addition to our essential kit list, travel scrabble, got a good outing, and we got some great views (of the snowy alps and the sandy middle east) out of the window. After a very efficient transfer at Doha, Qatar, and a marvelous Arabian breakfast, we landed half an hour early at Bangkok’s swanky new airport, raring to go and ready for taxi negotiations…  

As we headed into Bangkok for a spot of sightseeing, it was apparent just how much Bangkok has modernised in recent years, with a new integrated Sky train and Metro system as well as countless skyscrapers and glistening shopping malls – all new since Sarah’s last trip here erm, some years ago.  

Our day in Bangkok was spent largely recovering from jet lag, pottering up and down the Chao Phraya river on ferry boats, and picking up a few more essentials on the Kao San Road, the main backpackers haunt. In the evening, conscious of our growing sleepiness, we decided to stay close to our hostel (on the Sukhumvit road in East Bangkok). So we strolled rather quickly down the ‘colourful’ Soi Cowboy street where many of the girls outside the bars seemed to have lost their clothes. Luckily there were some kind gentlemen trying to help them find them though…  

Then we carried on to a restaurant called ‘Cabbages and Condoms’ recommended in the Rough Guide, which was actually far less seedy than old Cowboy street, and in fact has very honourable intentions. The restaurant profits go to a family planning and education charity, and in keeping with its mission the whole place was bedecked in ornaments made of colourful condoms! It looked, at least through jet-lagged eyes, really quite pretty, and we are pleased to report neither cabbages nor prophylactics in our pad thai supper! 

Next day we decided to get ourselves on the bus to the beach island of Ko Phi Phi. We went for the VIP bus given previous experience, and VIP it was, with proper Air Conditioning, reclining seats, flat screen TVs and even little flouncy curtains. All for less than a tenner! We arrived in Ko Phi Phi next morning after a good night’s sleep and almost seamless bus-bus-bus-boat transfers (well one broke down, but we were so relaxed by now it was just a chance to admire the scenery for half an hour really…). 

As many of you will know Ko Phi Pi is famous as the stunning location for the film ‘The Beach’, and also as one of the places that got hit very badly by the tsunami in 2004. It is really a great testament to the hard work of the residents and foreign aid workers that the island has been so well returned to its former beauty, with many of the beach hut establishments and beach-side cafes etc. that Sarah remembers from her previous trip, being back up and running. You really get the impression that the people here are very proud of their little patch of paradise and we felt very lucky to be able to come and admire it too. 

We’ve spent our time here just lazing about really – trying to perfect our gap year-stylee tans, reading and every so often stopping to talk to one of the passing hermit crabs or funny sort-of talking birds (which we are yet to identify with a formal name!). We’ve also managed a red-faced walk up hill to a view point (well worth it in the end), and have been out kayaking around the bay to a couple of smaller beaches. Those gap year-esque bodies may yet emerge!! 

The other news is what we’re not doing i.e. the booze and fags. Sarah stopped smoking on Jan 1st and hasn’t broken yet. Helped somewhat by having picked up a very well-timed  dose of something chesty/fluey whilst back in the UK but she’s now feeling pretty optimistic that she’ll continue now back to full health – hoorah! 

Hope 2008 is being good to everyone so far. We’ll be in touch again from our next stop, Ko Lanta. Until then, lots of love, 

Sarah and Phil x x

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

It's nice to read your latest posting and am pleased you seem to be enjoying yourselves.
In case you don't yet know Phil, your team didn't get Harry Redknapp (sorry about that - from a Pompey girl!) but you've got young Kevin Keegan instead so not so bad eh?
Hope you're over your chest infection Sarah; I had it bad as well, along with the rest of the Country it seems.
Lots of love for now - Michele, Cliff & Chops xxx

  Michele Jan 21, 2008 4:41 AM

2

Lovely to see you back in the old routine. But where are you Sarah? Has Phil traded you for some dodgy substance or other, hence the grin in the last photo?
10/10 to Michele for being first in the comments list again.
Lots of love
Mum xxx

  Mum B Jan 21, 2008 6:55 AM

3

Forgot to say that it looks like paradise - especially as it has rained more or less non stop since you left!
Mum xx

  Mum B Jan 21, 2008 6:58 AM

4

Good to see you back on the road. Am impressed with the kayaking but surely you should have swum across to the beach with your possessions in a bin bag??
H x

  Hels Jan 22, 2008 12:36 AM

5

i put a comment on one of your pictures- are you made aware of those or do you have to look through them to see comments? by the way where are you going next and when? x

  anna Jan 22, 2008 6:51 AM

6

Stuck in the bloody office so nice to see someone is out having fun in the sun! Koh Lanta is a lovely island so you'll have fun there!! Lots of nice snorkelling and diving in Ko Rok and Ko Haa near there if you fancy swimming with the fishes so to speak

Have fun

  Nick B Jan 23, 2008 5:13 AM

7

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourselves. Cabbages and Condoms sounds quality. Do you reckon they deliver to South East London?

Take care and looking forward to the next update

  Sam E Jan 23, 2008 10:51 PM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.