Existing Member?

it's a long way from whitley bay... Hi everyone and welcome to our journal where you can see and read what we've been up to and where we're going next. We hope you enjoy it, and would love you to keep in touch with your news, and send us your comments! Lots of love, Sarah and Phil x ;)

Delhi

INDIA | Monday, 3 December 2007 | Views [1020] | Comments [2]

picnics in Lodi Park

picnics in Lodi Park

Just a quick update from sunny Delhi before we depart for the Corbett National Park to meet those hungry tigers...

We've had three days in Delhi, staying in the Paharganj backpacker area in the heart of old Delhi. We spent the first night in a fiver-a-night dive complete with stained bedsheets, and quickly took the decision the next day to upgrade to the tenner-a-night Hotel Relax, which is indeed much more relaxing - though still in the thick of things with drummers going by every half hour or so to announce the latest wedding, birth, death, cup of tea...

Delhi is a bit smelly. But we've preferred it to Mumbai as it is a bit less hectic and has proper roads - and more things to see too. We've had a good look around the heart of the city and have visited the National Museum (5000 slightly exhausting years worth of Indian history in one building - phew!), the lovely Lodi gardens, which we shared with lots of Indians having their sunday stroll and picnics, and have also seen plenty of the other important buildings too as we've made our way round in the distinctive green and yellow auto-rickshaws (which make us feel slightly less guilty than the pedal-powered ones).

Overall we feel we've spent about the right amount of time in Delhi to see everything, and to be honest we'll be relieved to get away from the scammers who accost you on every street corner with schemes to take you shopping to emporia full of over-priced tourist tat (or any other means of stopping you from getting where you want to go as it sometimes feels!)

We had read about various scams in the guide book and managed not to fall for any, including the notorious touts at New Delhi train station, one of whom tried to tell us that the ticket office was shut, so we should use his office round the corner to arrange our tickets.  He was actually getting a bit aggressive till an armed guard stepped in to have a word with him. The cheeky so and so!

Anyway, check out is in ten minutes so we'd better dash. Hopefully the next update will include some tiger photos - here nice puss puss!

Lots of love,

Sarah and Phil x x

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hi there,
Very jealous of your upcoming tiger safari. Make sure you take plenty of blowable upable photos for the wall and avoid any interaction with the beasts - remember Siegfreid and Roy! Enjoy yourselves, you're missing nothing here, it's cold wet and windy x

  veronica and james Dec 7, 2007 8:50 AM

2

Hi Guys,

Haven't been able to get on here for a while what with work and chasing after Jess all Christmas so have had a marathon catch up this morning - sounds like you are having a top time! Since reading your posts I have amended my CV to say that I am able to develop such high calibre staff that they achieve podium finishes at camel fairs! ... if that doesn't get me a pay rise I don't know what will ;-)

It also appears that I am too late to tell you to make sure you pack some breakfast cereal for your tiger safari in case you have to feed any of their hungry bellies. I have it on firm authority from something I saw on telly that they think its grrrreat

Anyway, enough nonsense. Happy New Year to you both! Hope you are having a fab time.

Cheers

Nick

PS Phil, despite what you may have been told or read, in my truly unbiased opinion, Kalou was clearly ONside ;-)

  Nick B Jan 4, 2008 7:35 PM

About sarahandphil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.