Existing Member?

Friends, Smiles and a Lotta' Miles. 10. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” - Mark Twain

Prague baby!

CZECH REPUBLIC | Saturday, 18 April 2009 | Views [588]

By the time we arrived in Prauge everybody in the groups spirits sky rocketed. We hoofed it through the cobble stone streets like turtles with our giant packs on ( mine is a light one at just 15kg, my friend is lugging around 22kg!). We checked into our accom which is apartments in the centre of the Old Town. We did a walking tour around the Jewish quarter, strolled across Charles Bridge which is full of artists, musicians and japanese tourists and made a wish at some lucky spot. Prague is very beautifull, and has almost been cursed by it over the years. I strolled along the Vlatva river to John Lennons Peace Wall, stopping past a spot where coupled engrave locks with their names like Dazza for Shazza 4 EVA etc on padlocks, lock them to the river gates and throw away the key. Council comes along with bolt cutters onece a month to chop them off hehe!

The peace wall is still hippie central but has kind of been reuined by taggers with no artistic talent much like the Berlin wall. People also chip away pieces. Kind of defies the message.

Last night we went out for traditional cuisine before heading up near Prauge Castle to a beer garden to drink the night away. Very Pretty view and lots of silly locals. Drivers here are very angry, you cant walk anywhere without getting abused. Apparently the ticket collectors on PT are former public servants from the communist days here.

Apparently Prague as a place to live is pretty corrupt- lots of financial crime and a buerocracy that tries to charge a price for simply breathing the air here. But it is still beautifull and being a tourist is bliss.

Today I woke up to rain- the first time on the whole trip! Kind of sucks because I had all these things planned but I got a lot done anyhow. Went to Prague Castle, trawled through some vintage stores, went to the Frank Kafca museum, went to  a couple of cathedrals and here I am! Hoping to do a Ghost tour tonight (one of the most haunted cities in Europe I hear but it could just be a marketing ploy!)

Goodbye for now!

Sear

About sarah-leary-and-chris-vt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.