Existing Member?

Friends, Smiles and a Lotta' Miles. 10. “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” - Mark Twain

Krakow Poland

POLAND | Thursday, 16 April 2009 | Views [741] | Comments [1]

Began a tour with Intrepid a couple days ago and we hit an overnight train from Berlin to Poland. I was sad to leave Germany but happy I saw as many of the sights as I could. So! Six people squished in a sleeping compartment for 12 hours! Very rocky and I kept thyinking wed got on the wrong train and were headed for Russia! When we arrived in Krakow it was very early and it took me a little while to realise how special this place is. It's a medieval town near Wawel Castle which was the house of Polish Kings since the 12th Century. The castle itself was freakin huge. But inside was nothing short of gory, the tapestries, paintings and ornaments all dipicted scenes of war at sea or land, killing triators or just looking triumphant. There was one hall where 25 carved heads with different expressions hung from the high ceilings! The old town of Krakow is full of churches (its the catholic centre of eastern Europe and birthplace of plenty of popes!) cobbles streets, funky markets and lots of beautifull bars and restaurants. Went to one on Tuesday that Tess would love, everything was pink and purple, chandeliers and puffy seats.

Like Berlin, this place loves dogs! they can go in restaurants, trains, trams and shops. Though the drinking aint so liberal as the German capital. There are street performers everywhere, singers, clowns, artists, florists.

Today was a different experience. About 10 of us caught an early bus out to the Auschwich concentration camps. IT was an experience Illl never forget. We were shown pretty much everywhere by our guide, the barrack rooms were prisoners slept, the railroads that brought them in, their discarded possesions found by the russians upon liberation. Blankets, combs, shoes, suitcases, dolls. There was even a room full of cut off hair taken from women before they entered the gas chambers. We couldnt look at that room very long. Then we were shown inside the gas chambers. The air was so heavy. The most ironic and sad thing was that the day we were there- it was beautifull, the sky was blue, grass a perfect green and flowers popping up everywhere- especially at Auschwich 2 which was the biggest camp run by the Nazis. Cant imagine how different it would have been less than 70 years ago.

On other things! Polish food is beautifull, they LOVE dumplings of the potato kind, sweets, kebabs, sausages and thick soups. Im trying to steal a recipie for one I love. There are nuns and priests evereywhere here and the mingle with a huge student population which are very hip indeed. I leave for Prauge tomorrow which has been a place ive dreamt of sicne a little girl. 6.30am train though wont be pretty!

au reviour!

Sear bear

Comments

1

Thanks for blogging Sear! The castle sounded great... am hoping to visit a couple when i go. And YES go FOOD!! I can't wait to experience it all.

A concentration camp would be the most amazing place to go... sad yet almost somewhere you wouldn't want to miss.... Never thought about going to see one.

Looking forward to your next entry! xo

  Hannah Apr 16, 2009 10:00 AM

About sarah-leary-and-chris-vt


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.