Existing Member?

2009 Travel Journal

3 Weeks Later!

IRELAND | Friday, 20 February 2009 | Views [544]

Hi guys,
 
Its hard to believe that i been gone now for almost 3 weeks.
 
After Bali I spent three days in Singapore. It was a pleasant stay, as i managed to bunk in with a mate at the Mercure Hotel (my friend being the manager). The city is clean and civilsed. Quite a contrast to other parts of Asia. Alcohol is super expenise.... say no more! I toured around to a few parts, including the zoo, which was probably the highlight. There is much to see, and could definatley spend a few more days there.
 
After Singapore was Britain for 5 nights. Here i mainly caught up with family and friends, so not too much exiciting and new stuff, as i have been there several times before. Since hitting the UK my wallet has been getting rather light.
 
I am currently in Ireland. I flew into Cork, where i spent 2 nights, then decided to hire a car, and have spent one night in Kilarney, will spend tonight in Galway, then drive to Dublin tomorrow where i will be for 3 nights before heading over to Isreal early next week.
 
Ireland has been mainly sightseeing all its natural beauty, with the highlight being the Cliffs of Moher which i got to today. A spectale in itself, you literally stand in awe of the shear cliff faces. They have recently added a memorial to the attraction for all those who have lost their lives at the cliffs. As i wander past one barricade there was a sign posted by the good samaratans advertising "if depressed.. please call this no. and talk to us"...... maybe they should have put the sign a bit further away from the cliff face!!
 
Anyhow the driving around ireland has been an experience in itself.... so many narrow windy roads and close calls, i am glad to have had the practice on the Kuranda Highway.
 
The hostels have been quite good so far. The last two nights i have paid minimal dollars for a dorm room, but been fortunate eoiugh to have the whole dorm to myself. Its just worked that way for me, on the dorm option i choose... so muzeltov for me! This hostel in Galway is definatley the busiest so far. People everywhere making all sorts of racket! I just now have had some fellow sit next to me in the common room, plug in his little boom box, and start playing some shit too loud!! hmmm... this is the backer way of things i guess.
 
All has been good so far.. the weather has been cold but not too bad. The sun actually came out today, and i had to put my sunnies on while driving. 
 
Had dinner tonight at some turkish food bar. Awsome!! I must have been miles away though... cause after dinner i started walking down the street, and the lebanese fella comes running down the street chasing me. I forgot to pay!!!
 
So Israel in a couple of days.. can't wait to get there... as i will have two weeks or so without having to drag my bag around everywhere.
 
Hope all is good with everyone...
 
Take and be happy ;-)
 
Sam x

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.