Existing Member?

My Adventure Around the World

Brisbane and Byron Bay

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 3 October 2009 | Views [232]

More wildlife encounters ahead....

25/9
 
Off this morning to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.  I finally held a koala, it was so cool!  I didn't realise how heavy it was going to be.  His name was Goblin.  I managed to have a voucher for a free reprint of my picture so now I have two copies of it which is cool.  Also while I was there I decided to go and feed the sheep, that was ok until about 4 sheep all decided to crowd around me at once!  I also held a really cute little chick.  There was also the unavoidable petting of the kangaroos there even though you would have thought I would have had enough of doing that yesterday!  In the evening I went out in the city with a girl from my room for some food and a drink.
 
26/9
 
Walked around Brisbane today, went on the free Parliament House tour and walked through the part of the Botanic Gardens that wasn't closed for the 150 years of Queensland celebrations that were going on.  There is a nice artificial beach area by the river so I stayed there for a bit.  In the evening we went to Surfers Paradise.  Our reservation for the hostel had not gone through and turns out all of Surfers was full as there was some Uni Games thing going on.  Not helpful for us then!  Luckily we found a hostel and a guy rung everyone he could think of, but still no luck.  We then said that we would stay in the tv room, which was a bus that had had the seats taken out and replaced with bean bags.  Then the girl at reception remembered a cancellation and we ended up in an apartment sharing the bathroom and kitchen with two others and they let us have the room for dorm prices, awesome turn out of events!
 
27/9
 
Up this morning and out to the beach.  Not a very nice beach I might add.  There was high rises all along it.  The wind was up today so we ended up covered in sand so re-lotioning was not fun.  Got the bus to Byron Bay in the evening.  The evenings are getting colder and colder....
 
28/9
 
Today I woke up with a stinking cold.  Felt like death warmed up.  We went and did the Cape Byron walk out/up to the lighthouse.  On the way up there we saw a snake, how cool!!  There was some really nice views and we went to the most easterly point of the Australian mainland.  Laid on the beach in the afternoon and then had an early night to try and combat the cold.
 
29/9
 
Today I woke up feeling a lot better.  Off to the beach again, really nice beaches in Byron Bay.  We met up with another girl from the Groovy Grape tour for a few hours.  Queued up for a free dinner and turns out it then took 45mins to arrive and I didn't even like it!  Had to get a Dominoes instead, I ordered a small one but it was huge so I couldn't eat it and had to throw some away, I was so gutted!

Off to Perth later on today for a tour up the west coast. 

xx

About sam_jackson86


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.