Existing Member?

India

luggage rack slumber

INDIA | Friday, 7 March 2008 | Views [676] | Comments [1]

A couple of weeks back, while I was still traveling with Noah, Kyle, and Haley, we were making our way from the east coast of Southern India to the west.  The longest stretch of this venture was the train from Madurai to Kovallam.   When we tried to book our tickets we found out that the reserved seating was sold out.  However, we were anxious to get to the west coast and Haley needed to be in Mumbai by the end of February.  So we decided that we would get unreserved seating and then get to the train really early to secure our seats for the 12 or 13 hour trip.  Brilliant plan.

As the train arrived and before it even stopped, crowds, serious hordes, of people swamped the train.  Before the doors opened people were flying through windows to secure a precious seat.  The four of us were a bit stunned initially, but soon realized some action was necessary if we were to even get on the train.  We nudged our way in one of the doors and Haley and I grabbed two wooden seats facing each other.  Kyle and Noah went off to look for other seats and scout for anything better.  They soon returned, excitedly instructing us to secure as much of the luggage rack above as possible.  Of course! How did we not realize that the racks above provide valuable space, not just for our bags, but to stretch out and sleep also!?  So we had two hard, wooden seats and space enough for two on the luggage rack.  We alternated spots throughout the night.  And the narrow rack not only enabled us to stretch out, it had noticeably less cockroaches.   

Like many travelers, I am a little more aware of the many comforts and luxuries I take for granted.  I used to arrive at work with a new opinion/complaint regarding the el and the CTA just about everyday (CSCIP staff - I am sorry you had to listen to my rants!)  But we were able to laugh on that uncomfortable train ride because it was another collected adventure, another token to take with us from our travels.  But this is the way it is here.  And cramped trains are nothing compared to the real struggles and difficulties people endure in this beautiful and heartbreaking land.   

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Ryan
I did not even realize you were there. Wow! these are some amazing stories you have been telling. i havent looked at the pictures yet but i will. thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Enjoy yourself and we are definately thinking of you here. See you soon.
Your Cousin,
Katie

  katie Liszka Mar 19, 2008 7:06 AM

About rymaher


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.