Existing Member?

Good Times THE WONDERFUL ADVENTURES!

My favorite "Soda" in San Pedro

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 30 April 2008 | Views [3053] | Comments [2]

My favorite people at a

My favorite people at a "soda" (very small restaurant) in San Pedro...I was a regular here, and they ended up loving me there as a result (wanted me to work there)...very nice people...definitely made me feel at home

In Costa Rica they have places called "Sodas" which are small cheap restaurants where Costa Ricans eat often to avoid spending money in more expensive restaurants. At this particular soda in San Pedro they offer you steak, a pork chop, or fish along with a small salad, with rice, vegetables, and beans. Most Ticos and Ticas (costa ricans) eat at these places because they get all the food groups while getting a very reasonable price. At these places you basically order at the main counter top window and sit down to wait for your meat to be cooked and grub on some great food! At these "Sodas" you are not expected to tip.

Being in San Pedro for the month of April I went to this "Soda" many times and I loved the food there...I had steak, pork chops, and my FAVORITE was the fish! It was a full-filling meal to me and the whole plate with a local fresh juice was 1600 Colones ($3 and some change).

I quickly became a regular at this "Soda" and ordered the fish every time after my first time having it along with my double rice order instead of the beans. The daughter of the family at this "Soda" quickly remembered my order every time. She also was a big fan of me because I gave her a $2 tip every time I ate there. I really felt guilty how cheap the meal was. Heck you get a "Shit meal" at McDonalds in the states for $8 and actually the prices at Mcdonalds here in Costa Rica are very similar to the states. I guess I don't understand why Mcdonalds would stay in business here with all the delicious "Sodas" around.

I went into my favorite "Soda" in San Pedro with my roommate (Jake) and he was shocked how much they opened up to me.  He was also surprised how open they were with conversation, and also how welcoming they were when I entered their litte restaurant.  Jake speaks fluent Spanish and I didn't at that time, so he was able to speak with them better than me. They were telling him that I was such a kind gentleman, and that they wanted me to date their daughter. Once we got our food (Steak this time with the extras) we had forks and each had butter knives in our little silverware packet they give you with your meal, but the daughter went out of her way to make sure I had a steak knife. Jake said "what about me, I don't get a steak knife"...she just chuckled and apologized, and it definitely brought some laughter to us all!! I guess it pays to drop a tip when it is unexpected.(LOL)

I went into my favorite "Soda" on my last day in San Pedro because I told them that Wednesday would be my last day and that I would be sad to leave Costa Rica, the delicious meals at this "Soda," and their amazing hospitality.  They gave me a loud greeting upon my entrance and the other people there looked at me a little funny, but the amazing family had my fish all ready to go because they knew I arrive about 2 pm every day that I eat there. Once the food was ready at the little "counter window" I tried to grab my plate from the daughter, but she insisted that I let her set it down at my table along with my juice.

I sat down at the table by myself at my usual table, but the mother asked me to go sit at another table with her daughter while she ate as well (along with I believe it was the grandma). They usually close about 2:30 pm (after lunch) so most of the family usually eats there at that time as well. They asked me for my email so they could keep tabs on me during my travels and we all gathered for a group photo at the "Soda" as well. I was sad to leave such great people because they made me feel welcome from day one, but I was excited to adventure to a few new countries. They did not want me to leave Costa Rica and wanted me to stay there and work at their "Soda." However, I told them that I was eager to continue and explore other great countries, and that I would probably be back to Costa Rica in a year or so. The mother said "that sounds good, you come back in a year and marry my daughter...lol." I guess I set a fairly good impression....

 

Comments

1

I just knew looking at the picture- why they loved you so much.... their daughter! lol sounds like they have a little aunt mary and aunt rodie matchmaker in them! love it!

  Anna May 9, 2008 3:48 AM

2

Hey ryanj_clark,

We are featuring Costa Rica this month at World Nomads and really liked your blog, so decided to highlight it on the homepage so that others can enjoy it too.

Happy Travels!

World Nomads

  World Nomads Jul 1, 2009 10:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.