Existing Member?

Russ & Tash's travels

Cat Tien National Park

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 2 April 2014 | Views [404]

We left Ho Chi Minh and headed a few hours north west to Cat Tien National Park. It would come as no suprise to any who have visited Vietnam that we were overcharged for our bus journey, followed by being stung significantly by the moto taxi riders for the 25ks up from the main road to the park. We would have prefered another bus but ended up having no choice but to take the two toothless, slightly crazed moto riders up on their firm offer: we were told by all involved that there "was no local bus". We thankfully arrived alive after wild manouvers and several important text messages sent. On arrival we were pleased to meet a couple who had just had the same experience.

We have now spent two full days in the park, with day one involving riding bikes to a local village with a long house and visiting a bear sanctuary. Although Tash was pleased to see bears (Russ less so) she wished the feeding cages were larger. Day two we were joined by the couple we met and we rode much futher into the park and trekked to Crocodile Lake where there were actual crocodiles (the Vietnamese have named several places after animals which are not present e.g. Turtle Island and a few mystical e.g. Unicorn Island!!) so we were pleased the marketing was accurate!

We move on to the hilly, colonial town of Dalat tomorrow on the suprise suprise, local bus (since found) and have booked a nice local hotel which has many reviews raving about the large buffet breakfast complete with vegemite and bacon...sold...take our money already!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.