Existing Member?

Russ & Tash's travels

Phnom Penh with Rob & Sandra (Tash's folks)

CAMBODIA | Friday, 31 January 2014 | Views [197]

Our old freezing bus resulted in some very sore backsides but we were happy and excited to reach Phnom Penh. After deciding there were no Australia Day celebrations to be had we decided to settle in with a few beers and wait for Rob and Sandra to arrive. 

Rob and Sandra kept us on our toes for most of our time in Phnom Penh which means we managed to see all the big sights (not like us at all). We visited the horrific 'Killing  Fields'  of Choeung Ek and the Tuol Sleng museum (S21 prision). Around a quarter of Cambodia's population was wiped out by the Khmer Rouge, which is hard to comprehend. It was an very challenging day but we feel that it was the right thing to do, as it helped us to understand the people of Cambodia and their history.

We visited the grand and very golden, Royal palace. We hired a guide who spoke good English, yet sounded like a voice over for old martial arts movie - imagine a villian in a Bruce Lee movie saying 'silver pagoda' and you'll get the idea. We also introduced Rob and Sandra to the Khmer cuisine and local beers at the Foreign Correspondence Club, amongst many other resturants and bars.

After three days we all boarded a bus for our 6/7 bus journey to Siem Reap; the gateway to the Angkor Temples. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.