Existing Member?

Roy and Ania One year to womble about in the world

New years festival and volcanic experiences

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 18 January 2010 | Views [699] | Comments [1]

The mist from the pools where warm and wet

The mist from the pools where warm and wet

We spend new year at a 5 day hippie festival at a retreat centre called Prana, in Coromandel, North Island. It was small, just 500 people, but really nice and lovely. The whole event was (nearly) drug free and family-friendly with a open and friendly atmosphere. In the day time there where 20-30 different workshops to choose form, everything form afro gospel singing, chanting, African dance, samba dance, capoeira, contact improvisation and yoga, to workshops on relationships, different aspects on spirituality, meditation, film showings etc. In the evenings there where concerts and shows of different kinds.

The weather was fantastic and it actually even got too hot most of the days, but despite of that there was a lot of dancing, drumming and singing. Since the festival was located by the beach, we got to swim everyday, wonderful!

Although the festival was maybe more my type of event, I believe Roy enjoyed it (certainly the swimming part) and he got to do a capoeira workshop amongst other things, and when he was drinking the beer that he smuggled in I can say for sure that he even enjoyed it a lot.

One of my favourite moments form the festival was when Roy and I danced tango to trance disco music, that was great. It was actually the first tango we have done since Buenos Aires...it has been too long without dancing really.



After the five days of glorious sunshine at the festival, it started to rain and fortunately that was the day of departure. We drove the Underbite (our van) down to the Bay of Plenty and the Rotorua area where we chilled for a day while we did some admin work and washed all our clothes after all the dust and sand from the festival. We bought some exotic local fruit that I have never try before, some orange type fruit, yellow kiwi fruit, and a two-in one fruit : apple and pear ( I know they exist in Europe as well, but this tasted different an was extremely juicy).


The flowing day we had the whole volcanic experience. We camped at a spa with natural hot pools that where up to 40°C. Campers who stayed at the site got to use the pools for free. It was an amazing experience sitting in one of the hot pools looking out over the valley with the cow greasing and seeing puffs of steam coming from the hot water springs amongst the bushes. It was a like a sauna experience and we got all relaxed afterwards.

Next morning we went to the Geothermal Wonderland Park (see photos) and although the photos we took capture the extraordinary of the features, they do not capture the “rotten egg” smell. You are lucky, because it was quite strong and disturbing.


So far, during our 4 weeks or so of travelling in NZ we have been stopped by the police twice an Roy, who has been driving, have had to do a alcohol breathing test. They are quite serious here, Roy says it has never happened to him in the UK, and he has had his licence for over 20 years...


Now we are off to a meditation retreat.


Love

ania

Comments

1

Hi Ania,
i was wondering if you know of any more details about Prana? I am searching for somewhere in NZ to spend time around new years and it sounds absolutely perfect!!! but i cant find any information about it?
thanks!!! robyn :^))

  Robyn Adlington Nov 5, 2010 1:13 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.