Existing Member?

Roy and Ania One year to womble about in the world

NZ: Northland is fantastic!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 28 December 2009 | Views [511]

Roy is shooting at the duck that jumps up and down in the water on a string after the boat

Roy is shooting at the duck that jumps up and down in the water on a string after the boat

We just left the very far north of New Zealand after a few days of beautiful adventures and successful camping in our lovely camper van that we have chosen to call “Under Bite” (see photos to understand why). We drove up Northland and was astonished by the nature and the vastness of the remote areas. As we where driving I saw farmlands and cattle to my left that reminded me of Sweden so much, and then I turned my head and to the right there was the most amazing coastline with white sand, deep turquoise water and palm trees and other exotic plants. It is really an extraordinary place, this country (what we have seen so far)!

We planted ourselves in Paihia and on the by the beach in The Bay of Islands and on Christmas day we went on a bus tour (like proper tourists) that took us up to the very north part NZ and to the 90 mile beach, to a forest with the giant Kauri trees, to the very tip of the peninsula, Cape Reigna, which is a sacred Maori place where they believe the souls slide off the branches of a particular tree as they make their way to the after world. It was a rich day and we where very pleased with the experience.

The day after, on boxing day (with no Christmas feeling what so ever, but none of us particularity worried about that) we boarded the boat The Rock for an adventures 22 hour cruise with fishing, kayaking, shooting competition, snorkelling, trekking on one of the islands, BBQ etc. It was a great experience and we met some nice people. We concluded that 10 nationalities where represented in the crowd of about 20 people, not bad. It was all so much fun. I am sending warm thanks to the great crew at The Rock.


I have uploaded quite a few photos from our trips, so take a look at the photo album!

Now we are off to explore the Cormandel peninsula for two days before we go to the 5 day Prana Blue Moon New Year Festival at Prana Eco Retreat Centre.

Love to you all, and a happy new year!

from Ania and Roy

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.