Existing Member?

Roy and Ania One year to womble about in the world

7 days of meditation in silence...

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 18 January 2010 | Views [724]

The entrance to the secred laburinth where one can only walk with bare feet or in socks...

The entrance to the secred laburinth where one can only walk with bare feet or in socks...

Our journey into the spiritual, the meeting yourself without excuses, has started. We dove right into the deep end of it by attending a retreat called “The way of mindfulness” for 7 days. We where not really prepared for what that meant as we signed up for it and we both got a bit of a shock when we arrived at the retreat centre, located in the middle of the bush on the Coromandel peninsula, and was told that we would be completely silent and meditate for about 6 hours per day starting at 6 am each morning! OK, here we go!


We where given some advice on how to deal with the week as a couple, the teacher said that people who did not connect with each other verbally during the retreat had reported deeper experiences that when they had done so. Roy and I said god bye and moved into tot the separate ladies/men's dorms, and the small booths with a bed and a window (true monastery style, but very nice in my opinion).


The very second I saw our teacher I became hopeful about the experience to come. He is a tall Englishman (funny, we have come all around the world just to be taught by an Englishman!) with an aura of humour, playfulness and pleasant presence. There was no sense of authority or “you must do things my way”- attitude. What a relief! Each evening he gave talks that where so genuinely human and wise with a great edge of humorous distance to the spiritual profundity that he spoke of. Every evening there would be a gem or two that went straight to core of my being, turning my perspective of the world up side down once more, and leaving me with knowledge that cannot be unknown. A bit like the Matrix, once you have taken the blue pill (or was it the red, I don't remember), there is no turning back. It is irreversible. My notion of the reality of what it means to be a human is changed completely. In some shape or form I have heard it all before, but Stephen (the teacher, I cannot even spell to his Buddhist monk name) made it all come alive and confirmed it all for me again.


I guess that Stephens words affected me deeper also because they reached me after hours of meditation. How does one describe meditation? I am not sure I know how to. On the one hand it is about spending time looking inside, looking at the relationship I have with myself, see patterns of thoughts, emotions etc. On the other hand (or maybe it is a part of the same thing) it is about practising single focus and notice how the attention habitually flutters around and lingers either in the past or in the future, rather than being in the now. The concept of meditation (in my understanding) is that it is only by being in the present moment , with whatever is there, that one can commune with the truth of what it is to be a human being. On the retreat there was nothing to do but meditate. We where cooked for (wonderful vegetarian food with vegetables from the centre's garden) and all excuses for escape into some kind of activity or conversation where stripped away. So there we where. Oh, my god, I never thought doing nothing could be such hard work! Although I have some experience of meditation from before, it has never been taken to such extremes, and it sure was fascinating and intense.


Both me and Roy experienced the week as challenging process and we both had deep experiences of different kinds and flavours. I am pleased to say that we left each other to our own individual paths without connecting and speaking with each other until the end of the 6th day!


We are both moved by this intense experience and at least I would recommend it to everyone.


Love

ania


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.