Existing Member?

Back in the saddle

Namaste India

INDIA | Saturday, 25 October 2008 | Views [665] | Comments [5]

Me, David & CeCi at the Imperial Hotel

Me, David & CeCi at the Imperial Hotel

Things seem different when you are homeward bound. The overnight train back to Delhi from Bikkaner felt like an old friend. I was prepared for a crap sleep and the disruption of passengers coming and going through the night.

We arrived back into the chaos of New Delhi station and disappointed to find our hotel was so far out of town. We only have a day in Delhi but we are an hour of the city and the driver can't even find it.

Outside Delhi station

We endure breakfast at the Hotel Clark Green, it's a farcical Fawlty Tower-esque affair where all our eggs arrive on one plate with no toast, we are berated for fetching ourselves a cup to pour our coffee into...and we leave with our tummys still grumbling. We pine for our camp cooks!

With many hours lost through the ridiculous location of our hotel, we change our plans and visit Dilli Haat, a market in South Delhi that represents crafts from all regions of India. It's a very relaxed market and we easily spend a couple or hours wondering around buying gifts and eating from the regional food market. delicious.

We then take a meander around the peaceful green Lodhi Gardens, a welcome haven from the chaotic streets. We stumble across a couple of mosques built in the 15th century which are just beautiful. A family pincics right outside and enjoys a game of cricket. There's always a game of cricket in India.

Lodhi Gardens

Our final activity is a well-deserved drink at the Imperial Hotel. Bathed in jasmine scent and styled in British Colonial, it is the most opulent hotel I have ever set foot in. We plant ourselves at the bar and order gin & tonics (with mineral water ice cubes, very fancypants!)and beers. After a week in the desert we soak up the old world, glamorous atmosphere and I hide my grubby fingernails under the bar. After a while, we realise the Imperial has a time limit. The place fills with stuffy suits and conservative western dresses, the spell is broken and its time to leave. Our US$60 bill (for 2 x tap beers and 2 x G&T's) says it all.

Trent & David at the Imperial bar, sipping $20 beers

We head out of the opulent gates and back into the hubbub for our final Indian meal.

I hope I get to come back to India. She is a new friend I have only just met, and I have a thousand questions to ask.

Comments

1

Amanda,
What a nice surprise! I was simply browsing around the Nomad site this morning (still feeling out of place back here at home)... and stumbled on this! LOL! It was great traveling with you, Trent, David, et al.
Hugs, ccf

  Ceci Oct 30, 2008 10:11 PM

2

Hi Amanda,

The journal is great, kept wanting to read on.. its inspiring and interesting with photographs capturing it all. Well done.

Love Paula

  Paula Denholm Oct 31, 2008 8:31 AM

3

Hi Amanda,
I see you have finally left the Kentucky Chicken box behind! What a wonderful experience you must be having. I am really enjoying browsing the site and seeing your pics. Power on! So proud of you.
Love Ros (Gibson)

  Rosalind Gibson Oct 31, 2008 2:23 PM

4

Amanda,
WOW!!! I loved reading this! I'm so proud of you and the wonderful things you are doing with your life. Your writing is so enjoyable, I love you to bits. I don't suppose you managed to find a Moo Shake anywhere in India?
I look forward to catching up again xxxx
Love Zoe

  Zoe Williams Nov 3, 2008 8:38 AM

5

Amanda,

Loved your journal! Sounded amazing and what a great experience for you. Don't think I could have handled that heat though.
xx

  Emma Bewick Nov 9, 2008 2:46 AM

About roam-if-you-want-to

Me at base camp

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.