Existing Member?

Back in the saddle

Through the desert we go

INDIA | Friday, 24 October 2008 | Views [767]

Rajasthani cow-dung house

Rajasthani cow-dung house

Day 2 of camel riding, the bum is sore, but Im ready to get back in the saddle. Dolly is a bit grumpy this morning and puts on quite a performance as I get on board.  

It gets hot very quickly and a couple of hours into our ride, I'm ready to get off! Luckily we stop for a drink break and we are invited inside one of the local houses. They are made from sticks and dried cow dung, which makes a surprisingly smooth and cool surface. A typical house had two or three 'huts' opening onto a communal courtyard area - which is mostly where they sleep, as it is much cooler. There was also a 'safe' that was padlocked - this is where they keep their butter and other food luxury items. The family kindly served us chai and then we were back on the camels.

Lunch doesn't come quick enough.  We nap in the afternoon under the trees whilst children squat nearby curiously watching our every move. I start to talk to one of them who shows me his text book. I find amongst their english phrases "I have a mango tree" and "Would you like some chapatti?". All very lovely and quaint...and then surprisingly I spy the phrase- "Give me some money!" Nice to see the Government encourages a begging culture.

The afternoon trek took us to a slightly greener part of the desert where we set up camp for the second night. There is more singing and dancing but this time we achieve a more integrated dance floor, rather than just  the silly westerners impersonating Bollywood.

Everybody joins in, a first for our desert adventure. 

About roam-if-you-want-to

Me at base camp

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.