Existing Member?

Life Around the Map

Our Typical Weekend in London

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 11 November 2014 | Views [1524]

Big Ben was beautiful this past weekend, glistening in the sunlight through the branches of the trees lining the Thames. It surprised us as we explored in an effort to burn off the calories from the heaps of exquisite food we had downed at Zoe's Ghana Kitchen (my favorite was the fried plantain) after a visit to Africa in the Square. Obviously we have not really researched the tourist sights, as we had no idea the two areas were so close together.

A beautiful sunny day in Trafalgar SquareA beautiful sunny day in Trafalgar Square

Along the way we stumbled across a substantial protest against ISIS outside the Houses of Parliament. The passion of the people could be heard from several blocks away, and a group of police officers blocked the roadways and calmly watched the group. The whole image was quite moving, as a significant number of the protests shown in the media are depicted as violent, aggressive, and not at all effective. Yet here the voice of free speech could be heard in the chant of the crowd and law enforcement stood by appearing far more as protectors than aggressors. I suppose news demands the drama of the violence rather than the mediocrity of peace.

 

A small chunk of the protestorsA small chunk of the protestors

The two lovely sights were followed up by the Wembley Park sunday market the following day. Having decided to try a different cuisine each week, the loaded fry stand was up. I was a planning on ordering the poutine fries in honor of our Canadian honeymoon earlier in the year, but the beanie-bearing chef convinced us to try the loaded PB & J fries. Believe me, I was hesitant, but it was truly love at first bite. With peanut butter mustard, chili jelly, and shredded cheese it is a concoction fit for the gods that has left me craving more even after three days.

Our sets of fries, the peanut butter and jelly on the right. They kept disappearing during the photo...Our sets of fries, the peanut butter and jelly on the right. They kept disappearing during the photo...

The biggest seller among the young crowds, the recipe was concocted by the fry guys including their handmade peanut butter mustard, which is the equivalent of crack. I'm surprised they don't have a large line of craving-crazed expectant mothers as well, though I suppose fries aren't the healthiest choice in such cases.

Needless to say, next Sunday it will be a battle to order Lebanese or Indian instead of more fries. in the meantime I have started looking up recipes for peanut-butter mustard. I have finally found my fall comfort food.

Tags: big ben, fries, london, weekend, wembley

About rmckinley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.