Existing Member?

Life Around the Map

Home Sweet Home Away From Home

SPAIN | Monday, 8 September 2014 | Views [1001]

 I missed the water. The music of the lapping waves. The scent of wet sand and driftwood.  The festival in Bilbao was fascinating, but there was a lull in the afternoon and the coast was calling to me. I wasn’t even sure if I could reach the water by public transport but I was determined to try.

 Jumping on the main line bound for Plentzia, which was off my map, I headed north as far as the tracks would take me. Twenty minutes later, I was stranded only two stops from my destination as we flooded off of our broken train. But I was stubborn, and after questioning several security guards, I discovered I could take a free bus to the next stop to grab another train.

 Off I went, following the trail of flip-flop and towel-laden locals. Half an hour later, I arrived at my destination hot, sweaty, and satisfied. Dozen of boats dotted the river in front of me, the aqua water glistening in the sun, and paddleboarders waved hello as the waves lapped their feet.  I had found my paradise.

 I quickly made my way to the water front and, finding it crowed with people, searched for a quiet corner. I did not have to search long as the cobblestone wall and path opened at several points, providing rocky stairways to the water. Most people seemed only to use these stairs for boat and paddleboard access, and a few were occupied by schoolchildren, relishing their last few days of summer with free-spirited plunges into the blue. Finding one set of stairs unoccupied, I quickly lost my shoes and pranced my way down to the edge, rolling up my pants on the way down. I must have been a sight, all wobbles and giggles and joy.  

Plunging my legs in the water, it was like the icy coolness instantly quenched an inner thirst I could not explain. Growing up near lakes, rivers, and streams, water was not just something to drink or play in; it was a part of life, a connection, a memory.

Dangling my legs in the river, I surveyed my surroundings. In the midst of the chaos, the whirlwind of Spanish, the scent of churros and sand and sea, I had found my haven. I was home. 

 

 

Tags: beach, home, plentzia, spain, water, waves

About rmckinley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.