Existing Member?

Rheana's Travels

Night and day

USA | Thursday, 12 August 2010 | Views [339] | Comments [1]

I’ve never really been that much into writing a journal. I don’t have the patience or dedication to write down what’s going on in my life, especially on a regular basis. That’s one reason why I like having a blog and feeling like I should share some of my stories of what life is like here, it forces me to write. It’s for all the people that read it, yes (it’s way easier to write one entry than explain the same thing over to many different people), but it’s also what I’m doing to remind myself years down the road what I felt like when I was here.

So that’s why I’m going to try to keep it honest, even when one day is so different from the next. That’s really whats going on.

Today was a great day at the baby home. The difference between today and yesterday was like night and day, and it was because there was so many more volunteers. A group of Italians came (Italy must have some connection with Uganda, that’s the second group we’ve seen in three days) and so there was more hands to help. Jamie and I got to actually play with some kids, and there was much more laughing going on. Crying kids add to the stress level, even when they’re across the courtyard.

The language barrier is an issue; it makes organizing games difficult. Only the older kids know any English, though a couple of the younger ones have learned to count to ten. I just wish that there was some way I could learn Lugandan over night. None of the volunteers really know much, so there is definitely a disconnect there. I did learn how to say “sit down” today, so progress is being made.

It rained buckets last night/early this morning, and whenever that happens the internet goes out. The red clay roads also become a slight adventure to walk around on, but it’s not too much of an issue so far.

I'm going to try to post some pictures now, lets see if the internet is agreeable to that idea. :-)

Comments

1

Hi Rheana, I'm so glad today was easier for you. My heart broke hearing you tell about some of the kids and how something so simple as touch makes such a huge difference. I am glad you are there and for what you are doing. Love and hugs from us.
Bob

  Bob Lawrence-Markarian Aug 15, 2010 12:20 AM

About rlaipply


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.