Existing Member?

Rheana's Travels

You gone to Uganda?

USA | Wednesday, 4 August 2010 | Views [168] | Comments [1]

Say the title out loud... as weird as it sounds in two days (give or take a couple hours) my answer to that question will be yes. For at 6 am on Thursday the 5th my best friend Jamie Roupp (jamieroupp.blogspot.com) and I will begin our journey that will take us from the Medford airport to Kampala, Uganda. There we will be spending the next 5 plus weeks volunteering (with a little sightseeing thrown in there of course).

I apologize to those of you who didn't know I was going, or don't know very many details. I didn't even know I was going until 6 weeks ago. And ever since then it's been a crazy ride, trying to figure out all the details of our trip.

We will be staying at the compound of the Engineering Ministries International (eMi), but will not be doing any of our volunteer work through them. For more info on eMi, check out emiworld.org. Jamie found the place through a cousin of a person at her church, and it is a very well-run organization. Maggie (the person who runs the living facilities) is an American who has been living in Kampala for years and seems to know pretty much everything there is to know. Through her we found an orphanage and a clinic where we can volunteer. Here's the website of the clinic: http://www.hcluganda.org/clinic.


So right now we are trying to get all of our last minute stuff together. Unfortunately my love of and desire to travel did not come along with a skill or patients for packing. Luckily Jamie and I are the same size so we're planning on sharing all of our clothes (makes you get less tired of things), and toiletries. I just can't wait until we both make it to the airport (thanks in advance, Dad) and onto the plane... so I can pass out and sleep until we get to Denver.


We will have internet while in Kampala, though I don't know how fast it'll be. I'll update this as often as I decide to get around to it :-) Jamie and I don't plan to go out much at night for safety reasons, so are bringing card games, DVDs, and the materials to each make a scrapbook of our friendship. She has been my best friend since my middle school so putting that all down in picture form is going to be quite a project.

Hope this finds everybody having a great summer, and enjoying yourselves to the fullest extent.

Love, Rheana

ps. I'm going to attach a map of Uganda to help those out who might have forgotten some of their 9th grade geography class :-)

Comments

1

thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with us. It sounds so exciting and I know you will have lots of wonderful memories to last a lifetime. Have a good time.

  grandma may Aug 10, 2010 11:43 AM

About rlaipply


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.