Existing Member?

Rheana's Travels

First Couple Days...

USA | Tuesday, 9 September 2008 | Views [283]

Hola...

   So yesterday was the next in a long line of big days: when I met my teachers, AHA organizers, and (most importantly) the rest of the girls in my program. Since I didn’t know where I was going at all my Mom took the combi to school with me today. I don’t know how many people have seen a combi before, but they are the size of a big van. As soon as I get a camera (which will be soon) I’ll post a picture, because Combi rojo 4M is now a major part of my life. They are quite the experience. It’s really different than buses in the US. When I first got on there were no empty seats left, so HM and I had to stand. A woman literally grabbed the purse out of my hands and set it on her lap, holding it for me so I could hold on to the handles without any problem. An other woman did the same with my HM’s purse as well. I would have maybe freaked out a little, except that Arian (who came to Morelia last term as well) told me about the time when a woman handed her infant baby to Arian so the mom could find correct change. You here tons of stories down here about how Mexicans try to cheat Americans, but it’s hard to believe after witnessing first-hand how nice they are on the combis. Also, instead of sitting down without looking at anybody they all greet each other when they first get on the bus and often times start up a conversation with strangers. It’s really fun to watch.
    Once I got to school Victor (the head of the AHA program in Morelia) and Bob Selby (the professor who came down with us) led us through an introduction. It’s nice how much they take care of us down here. I don’t have to get a student vista because AHA talked to the Mexican migration office and convinced them to extend the 12 week tourist vistas to 13 weeks for us. That means I don’t have to get a student vista, which is saves me a fair amount of money. They then led us on a tour of the school, which gave us an opportunity to talk amongst ourselves and get to know each more. I think that I’m going to get along (if not be close friends) with every one of the girls. Which is a big relief.  They are all super nice and smart and all seem to be here for the right reasons. After the tour they fed us and then we were taken on a three and a half hour tour around Morelia. For those who have never been here, it is a gorgeous city with tons of colonial buildings. The cathedral that is the center of the city is truly magnificent. We weren’t able to go through it all because there was a mass going on, but I am definitely going back once I have a camera. The rest of the buildings were fantastic as well. Our tour guide was obviously very in love with his city and the men from Mitchoacan who helped create the Mexico we know today. His enthusiasm helped counteract the fact we spent over three hours on our feet learning about architecture. :-)
    I’m starting to really like Morelia. Since in September they celebrate both Mexican Independence and the founding of Morelia itself, the city is very clean and covered in flags. It looks very festive.


    Today was my first day of class. For some reason I had been placed in Spanish 399 which is WAY above my level, so I asked to be moved down. Apparently they thought I meant all the way down, so today I had my first Spanish class in 199, which is supposed to be just an introduction course. It wouldn't have been all bad, because it was just me and the profesora, so if I would have stayed it would have been one-on-one 1:40hr long lessons. But I don’t belong there, so once I talk to U of O and make sure it’s ok to move up a level I’ll be in a class with three others. Four to one isn’t too bad of a ratio.

     After class four other girls and I went shopping. We went to MEGA, which is a huge Wal-Martish department store.  They all bought shampoo and notebooks etc, while I found a headset so I can talk to people back in the US over the computer.
    I got home around 4, just in time to eat dinner with my family. Eating, not the food in particular but the times in which is happens might be the biggest noticeable difference for me. I eat breakfast before school, then nothing until I get home in the early afternoon, then again late at night. The food is really good, but I’m used to my noon, three, and six eating times.
    I feel like I am slowly getting better at Spanish. Although I cannot come close to expressing myself to the extent I want to, after the couple days I just took a deep breath and said I was going to do my best and laugh if that wasn’t enough. That attitude has seemed to work out pretty well. I laugh at myself a lot, but I also am doing my best. I have no idea how much my family is really understanding when I talk, but people sometimes have a hard time following me when I’m talking in English, so I’m used to that.

     I hope everybody is doing great at home and is able to figure out this blog ok. I'll write again soon.

About rlaipply


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.