Existing Member?

My Travels

Arrival in Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 23 January 2011 | Views [371]

Well I arrived in Sydney and had my welcome meeting with IEP the agency that came over with, on the 1st and then did my RSA (Responsible service of Alcohol) course on 3rd, which is needed to get work in a bar

.On the 4th I went up to the Harbour Bridge and Opera House and walk across the Bridge and got some good photos of Sydney Opera House, after walking across the bridge went down by the opera house and had a jet boat ride around the harbor which was fun, just unfortunate it was raining.

On the 5th I went to the Hunter Valley for 2 nights which was fun. Stayed at the YHA and went on their wine tour on Saturday the 6th and we visited 4 wineries, and a cheese tasting in their purple bus. The wine tasting was really good and got to try wines most people aren’t allowed to try and in each place we tried 5+ wines. At the last place we even saw Kangaroos in the field next door to the winery. Unfortunately it did rain on the Friday and Saturday but it did come out nice on the Sunday, so had a walk into the nearby town of Cessnock and they had the motto if the Hunter Valley on their sign “Mines, Wines and People” as the hunter is famous for all 3. The mines in the Hunter Valley actually use conveyor belts to take the coal to the coast which is apparently the most efficient way to transport it and is the longest conveyor in the world.

So got back to Sydney on the 7th, and then had my Bar Skills course on the 8th, which taught you how to pour drinks properly, just can’t believe how small the beers are, and how expensive.

Since arriving in Sydney had been applying for different jobs and saw an advertisement in the hostel that effectively just said accommodation and uniform provided, and thought well may as well give them a call and got an interview on Thursday, the 9th at 3:00pm. So went to the interview and got offered a job and found out it was going door to door offering people reductions on the electricity and thought well not been offered anything else so would give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. And it was commission pay but you got $300 for the 1st 4 weeks on top of any commission.

About rjenkins


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.