Existing Member?

The adventures of Putaro Follow me and my beautiful travel companion around Asia where we attempt to find nothing, but enjoy ourselves all the while

Rush hour: Travel tales of Tokyo to Bangkok via Air India

THAILAND | Friday, 22 June 2007 | Views [652] | Comments [1]

After three days in busy Tokyo, the usual spots had been covered (Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Yoyogi Park); not to mention two trips to the Thai embassy. Ironically though, I found myself on the fourth day, unemployed(putaro)on a rush hour morning train (Tokaido line) bound for Tokyo station. If our car capacity was 100 there were 130 people heading to work in there (132 including Mizuki and I).  A miniscule Japanese woman was nose deep in my armpit as my hand rested on the bar above my head; my nose deep in some tall guy's armpit resting his hand on the door ahead.  There is literally no way to move for the 10 minutes from Yokohama to Kawasaki.  Then, after a short break so that people can push there way in and out, it starts all over again for another 10 minutes from Kawasaki to Shinagawa.  Fortunately, I didn't have to go to work after that, but I could only imagine if I would have. Feeling rather primal, my self esteem was in check. It is unfortunate people have to do that, especially ever morning.

Just making the Narita Express, our trip was underway. To save a little cash we had decided to fly Air India.  In hindsight, a good decision, but when we first boarded, the geezerly state of the plane made us a little nervous. Inside, the enamel was eroding, the overhead compartments weren't shut, there were tissues hanging out of selected spots in overhead vents, and mysterious sounds filled the air. Every seat even had its own ashtray in the arm rest for good measure. This plane was ready for the graveyard--preferably though,just not somewhere in the South Pacific.   Nonetheless, the outside of the plane must look a whole lot better because we made it fine!  The service was good, the food was great, and the on board movie was Bollywoodesque. You can't ask for much more than that!

 

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

Comments

1

Glad you made your plane, and the flight was good. Did the movie have Aishwarya Rai in it? She is smokin' hot. Keep the updates coming!

  Paul Jun 24, 2007 12:08 AM

About rjallen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.