Existing Member?

The adventures of Putaro Follow me and my beautiful travel companion around Asia where we attempt to find nothing, but enjoy ourselves all the while

A recommended day in Yokohama

JAPAN | Sunday, 17 June 2007 | Views [647] | Comments [2]

With the day to spend in Yokohama, we headed down to sleepy Kannai station to meet up with Mayo, a college friend of Mizuki's.  A beautiful day, 85 or so and sunny; Mayo, a Yokohama native, suggested we go down to Osanbashi Pier.

On the way from Kannai station to Osanbashi, my jet lag began to rage so we stopped for coffee at one of the several sidewalk cafe's along the way; casually watching the filming of some Japanese telebi program going on the other side of the street.  Although much to a lone police officer's disapproval, a growing lot of spectators began to congregate to get a look at someone famous, so we decided to head inside to drink our coffee. 

With my second isu kohi (ice coffee) finished, and my jet lag fought off for the time being, we headed down to Osanbashi.  With beautiful weather and minimal crowds, I found the pier to be an appealing spot  for a tourist or local.   Nestled between views of the port and the city, the pier has a sprawling boardwalk, and several plots of greenery to sit and relax on. A great place to look at the ships, read a book, or take a nap.  A cafe towards the middle offers beer and lounge chairs, and when chilling gets old, there are a few nearby drinking fountains  that project water like seven feet in the air- very cool if you 6 or 25 and act like your 6.

From Osanbashi we parted ways with Mayo and headed towards Chinatown via Yamashita Park.  Yamashita Park is an interesting place to have a sit.  Betwen the park and the port there is a concrete catwalk that allows people and dogs of all shapes and sizes to strut it  on route to their various destinations.  You have to beware of dog's aimlessly pulling there much smaller owner's, but it is great place to take photo's; especially those that  look like your eating ships, buildings, or people. 

From Yamashita Park, walking another 500 meters or so landed us right in the heart of Chinatown. Full of panda's, nikuman, sesame dango, and green hats bearing red stars; Chinatown for me, is a must visit when I'm in Yokohama.  It is a great place have a dinner and enjoy a Tsingtao and get your picture taken with a Panda.

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Just got on today looks like fun have fun and we all love u, be safe. (My mom got grossed out about your shots)

  Tanner Jun 18, 2007 12:32 PM

2

Rob,

You need to update your blog. Hopefully it's because Thailand is too awesome for words. Here is where I usually insert my default Bangkok joke, but I will refrain so that children's ears are not tainted.

  Paul Jun 22, 2007 9:59 AM

About rjallen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.