Existing Member?

Pilgrim Routes

Now we go, now we don't, now it's a maybe

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 16 August 2014 | Views [396]

What a week in the life of a pilgrim in preparation. As a response to the absolutely dreadful landslide in Nepal last week (on the road from Kathmandu to the Tibet  border) the Chinese Authority decided to close the border from 14 August indefinitely. Our lovely yantra leader, Hira, emailed us and said - no Kailash this year.  Our little trio went through denial, shock, grief ....  I decided I would still keep getting ready, couldn't stand the thought of unpacking my half packed suitcase yet. Then 24 hours later we get another email - don't cancel flights yet, Hira is trying to get us through and will know on 23 August .... 5 days before we are due to hop on the plane.

However this seeming obstacle has brought some unexpected blessings.  I was brought face to face with a lot of pride I had about how I was going to this sacred place that many couldn't go to.  It has also brought me back to earth - going on this pilgrimage will not remove me from the normal challenges of life forever.  I may not even get to go this year. I need to be ok with where I am right now, wherever that is.

Having said all that I am assuming we will be able to go - expect the best - and if not, then that will be an adventure in itself. 

So today I spent an hour in the vitamin shop purchasing the final bits to help with altitude.

As I said to Jac at our last preparation meeting - I'm good to go!

Tags: delays

About ritaj


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.