Existing Member?

The innate restlessness of Rick. If it is toward the disorganised, ridiculous, beautiful, unpredictable, fun and completely random that you find yourself drawn then you may find my stories worth a read. My adventures usually consist of epic, less then thought through road trips often spanning thousands of kilometers. I consistently cross paths with remarkable people of all persuasions and vocations. I visit beautiful places, some famous, some infamous but most stumbled upon while in my usual state of erratic wandering or while just plain lost. One thing is certain; my of harum-scarum stories will be completely random and probably have you setting off on you own disorganized missions, much to your own eventual elation, enlightenment and evil.

The Boat.

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 1 July 2006 | Views [522]

The beautiful, soft light of dawn filtering through the pupils of my eyes only to bounce off my unusually sensitive retinas with all the gentleness, politeness and consideration for my comfort as a Guantanamo questionnaire found my consciousness probing the jelly in my skull for an answer to a difficult question… ‘Was the world of pain throbbing inside my head that this particular sunrise dragged me into the worst single event I could remember?’ Given the fact I only had one other memory making the grand total of two contenders for the title, I should probably fill you in. It went like this…

The memory occurred either a fraction of a second or an eternity ago. I’m not sure if my mind shifted, expanded, flowed over or just stood back and realised the boundaries of my usual awareness just didn’t exist but the result of trying to describe it is almost as mind fucking as the experience itself. Im pretty sure it started with the outwards expansion of my consciousness and all the weirdness of the universe from a single point of every and all total potential to the vastness of infinity and the knowledge that there is no me, or was it just me? Well it was definitely only eternity its self and it all just went around and around and up and down like some kind of cosmic merry go round.

It was like being pushed around the set of 'backyard blitz', bound and gagged in a wheel burrow by the producer only it was 'universal makeover' and it was God herself doing the pushing. I was only unceremoniously dumped out of the wheel burrow of time back into my usual (at least most usual) state of awareness when a personal thought dragged it's self into my consciousness. The thought? A question; simply ‘do I exist?’ Any further explanation and words the like of absolute, infinity and eternity give way to jibberish like absoluteable, everythinglyness, eternalless and then just you’re run of the mill cursing. Of course this is what you should expect if you are going to ask a favour of old mate Budda to escape the pain of living while not willing to leave the joys of life such as home brew cider and hash.

The title fight for the ‘worst memory ever’ was soon forgotten, or more accurately won by a third contender that came in the shape of the realisation that I hadn’t actually opened my eyes yet. The sunlight aggravating the mush currently calling itself my brain was only a dull reddish/yellow glow criss-crossed with vivid red lines viewed through my eyelids. As unfortunate as it was I decided that I had no option but to open my eyes, accept the strange feeling in my head and stomach some would call enlightenment while others would call a spike of pain and flood of nausea that was going to come waltzing into my body hand in hand with the activation of my fifth sense in order to work out what exactly was happening. But that was the way it was going to be.

Tags: Adventures

About rickysick


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.