Existing Member?

Richie&Tone...'RoundTheWorld! tuktuk? Where you go? What your name? motobike? pineapple? col' drink?

Bangkok

THAILAND | Friday, 12 October 2007 | Views [364]

banana and coconut pancakes, mmm

banana and coconut pancakes, mmm

Ok i should begin with the debacle at Copenhagen airport, where I forgot my camera at the security desk, only to remember it as we started boarding at gate number 'a long way from the security desk'.  I ran back through the passport checkpoint (twice, ugh) to eventually get it.  Try running through an airport - security just love it.  Good flight, watched About Schmidt and got a spinach cannelloni!

Bangkok, take 2. On a whim we chose the 'old town', and a taxi (no belts) took us to a hotel in our price range, nice.  Out to roam the streets in the evening, and get our first glimpse/taste of the street food, which was great!  As we turned to lob back to the hotel we were taken into a tailor, 'just for a look', where we both ordered custom clothes, me a jacket, and Tone, a dress, HA! couldn't resist. Well, the jacket was finished in less than two days, but they couldn't find the colour Tone wanted, so no dress, but that could all change in Chiang Mai...

We roamed the streets for a couple more days and visited the 'Sunday Market' open 'most days'.  It was across town, the taxi dropped us off and pointed, 'there. sunday market, there.' Ok then, thanks. All we could see was someone selling fried worms and grasshoppers. good start! So we wandered in the given direction, and into a shed with several stalls, t shirts, jewellery, stuff, and soon realised that the shed had no ending, and actually went on forever. And, there were other endless stalls running parallel to this one. huge! and 99% local shoppers.  A couple of hours there, we shared yet another banana-coconut pancake and a fresh coconut before taxiing back to the hotel, in time for a quick snack of fried noodles and thai-italian spaghetti, and jump on the first of our buses for our overnight trip to Koh Tao, the Turtle Island!

Tags: Markets

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.