Existing Member?

The road goes ever on and on Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So...Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain

Whitewater Nepal

NEPAL | Sunday, 9 November 2008 | Views [1053]

I have spent the last couple of weeks rafting and kayaking in the beautiful rivers of Nepal. I travelled with Equator expeditions who I have travelled with before and who again ran an exceptionally good river trip. As I am learning to kayak I firstly spent four days at the beautiful Sukute Beach camp set on the banks of the lower Bhote Kosi. The camp here is superbly set up to learn kayaking, with a swimming pool, fed by mountain streams, in which you can practice your rolling and a nice variety of grade 1 and 2 rapids to hone your skills. If you are a more experienced kayaker you can also attack the upper Bhote Kosi from here, so there is something for everyone. The camp itself consists of quite comfortable jungle tents situated right by the river bank. There is even a small bar on site, so it is a really pleasant environment to spend a few days. After Sukute I left the very next day for the Karnali, a wild river in the west of Nepal, a 10 day trip all up. The first 2 days are spent on the bus getting to the put in point, after which we paddled down river a little to set up our first river camp. The Karnali was a magnificent river running through a really remote area of Nepal. The first 3 days the rapids are really large 4+ and 5 in some places, so rather than attempting to kill myself in a kayak I spent these days enjoying myself in the raft. After the killer rapids had passed the river becomes quite quiet with mostly grade 1 and 2 rapids so it was time for me to get in the kayak, which I was really looking forward too! Well I am getting better... slowly, I only took 2 swims in 3 days, although one of them did involve swimming over a rather large rock and straight into a hole. The good news is I am now managing to make some rolls in the whitewater, so that is progress! I just need to make sure I get out there more when I get back home. Overall the river was great, I really enjoy camping out and being out in nature and to a long river trip like this is just amazing for that. Just can´t wait till I get to do it again. I am now back in India at the cricket again in Nagpur, I am planning on doing a 10 day Vispassana meditation course where when the cricket finishes, I have had a bit of the flu and feeling a bit run down, so hopefully it will give me a chance to relax and recuperate a little!

Tags: equator expeditions, karnali, kayaking, nepal, rafting, sukute

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.