Existing Member?

Steve and El go Latino Here we go, two little kiwis off to discover the South of America for 3 months. Come along for the ride.....

In love with RIO

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 10 November 2009 | Views [887] | Comments [14]

Rio de Janerio.  Love it.  Temperatures between 34 and 40 degrees ahhhh.  This is the beach we're staying at, Ipanema beach and we're one block back from it, swimming until 7pm at night, quite lovely.

We're absolutely loving Brazil.  Pity about the Portugese, just when we were getting confident with Spanish...

We found Jesus as you can see in the photo's.  Apparently he's been here for quite a while, the last hundred years or so...fancy that.  From the top of Christ the Redeemer we could see the whole of Rio stretched before us, breathtaking.

On the beach, you rent an umbrella and chairs, then get served with ice cold beers, cocktails and coconuts... luxury.

Yesterday we went to a football game at Maracana stadium with about 95 thousand others.  It was electric, we've never seen such passion in our lives.  They crowd sung constantly throughout the game and everyone knew every word and every action to the songs in synch.  It was absolutely amazing.  The guys in front of us got so angry at times they'd turn around and punch and hit their seats!

Today we took a tour through a favella (slum) in Rio.  20 percent of Rio's population live in slums (1.5 million ppl) and this is the biggest in Brazil, 85 to 100 thousand people.  Because there is no welfare system and inadequate housing in Brazil, people resort to building their own houses out of whatever materials they have, on top of each others etc. 

They're run by the drug lords, who die before they're 24. 

The most amazing thing was the contrast between abundance and poverty.  Brazil has one of the biggest gaps between the rich and poor and is the country with the closest proximity between the two.  Right opposite the favela we went to was the richest private school in Rio, with imported SUV's and private drivers waiting to pick the children up. This is where the police helicopter was shot down about 3 weeks ago.  Police don't enter the favelas. 

Just so bizarre to be right in the middle of so much wealth yet so much poverty.  Our guide was quick to tell us that it is poverty but not misery.

Loving the multicultural-ness of Rio, so many colours, so fascinating, not to mention the swimwear....  Lots of men in speedos riding bicycles for some reason.  Steve keeps taking photos of them is that normal

Ipanema Beach, Rio

Ipanema Beach, Rio

Comments

1

Its not true!

  Steve Nov 10, 2009 9:46 AM

2

Wow - luxery is right! Wish I was there. (Must be nice after all that travelling - that didn't sound like luxery!)

Still SO looking foward to your return...

  Anna Nov 10, 2009 11:32 AM

3

We know it's true Stevie!

Did you source some top quality "holiday relaxants" in the favella?

See you soon!

  Caleb Nov 10, 2009 12:22 PM

4

Hey you guys write your trip so well. Think I'd like to see rio. We really miss you both and can wait for you to come and visit tauranga!!

  dad and mum Nov 10, 2009 4:57 PM

5

You can stay a night in the favellas if you want and its cheap too! Best veiws in the city are in favells because they build where the rich cant. Hanging onto the sides of cliffs. From the favell we were in we could see christ the redeemer and suger loaf mountain. Weird contrasts!

  reidy Nov 11, 2009 2:42 AM

6

So enjoying your blog and sharing it today here at Masons. What memories you will have! Thinking of you esp. saturday Steve. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Looking forward to seeing your photos. Love you both heaps. Nan

  Nan Nov 11, 2009 1:06 PM

7

ah! you have to listen to the song 'the girl from ipanema' while you're there - priceless. love it that you are having some rancho relaxo time after all your crazy days of previous weeks. very ready (reidy?) for you to come home now.

love love,
deb x

  Deb Nov 12, 2009 6:17 AM

8

Your trip is certainly one of contrasts - not only in the observations of the environment you make but also in your living conditions - from the ridiculous (ridiculously basic) to the sublime! - Just as well it's that way around as it's much more difficult to go down the scale once you have tasted the luxury! Thanks for sharing your adventures - quite whets the appetite for that part of the world.Are you managing to resist the souvineers or is your luggage getting heavier and more bulky? xx

  Fiona Reid Nov 12, 2009 8:35 AM

9

hi guys im really enjoying looking at sth america thru your web thingy thanks for shareing your holliday with us

  pete Nov 12, 2009 5:26 PM

10

Can't wait to see all the photos. I am sure you have a thousand more! Take care guys and enjoy the last few weeks! xox

  Angela Nov 13, 2009 6:55 AM

11

Im glad your all enjoying our blog. My bag is definatly heavier as I now carry Eloises and mine at the same time. I guess its fair as she did just have surgery in Peru! So yea Im currently carrying around 25kgs. Also the many gifts my wife seems to find add daily to the weight issues im having.

  reidy Nov 13, 2009 10:19 AM

12

Not sure what day it is over there, but it's your birthday eve over here!! Wahoo!! If you want a present you'll have to come get it tomorrow. And besides, i really want to see you!!

  Hannah Nov 13, 2009 2:45 PM

13

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE for the 14th,
Sounds like you'l find something exciting to do for your day. Counting the days til your home, dad reckons he'l have work for you, keep carrying that pack for EL.
love you guys lots

  mum & dad Nov 13, 2009 5:11 PM

14

Hey reidy,

We like your story and have decided to feature it this week so that others can enjoy it too!

Happy travels!

World Nomads

  World Nomads Nov 23, 2009 11:31 AM

About reidy

Church in Salta

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.