Existing Member?

My Travel Journal

Jet Lag & Sake! - 3rd/4th May 2009

HONG KONG | Monday, 4 May 2009 | Views [372]

Woke up early feeling awful - not sure whether to blame the alcohol or the jet lag! Anyway I couldn't get back to sleep. Had a good long bath in the beautiful big bathroom at the intercontinental! I'm going to miss this, that and the Elemis toiletries!!

There is a shopping mall, world centre attached to the hotel. At the top there is a fairly cheap and cheerful restaurant and I had my first chinese breakfast. Congee, fried noodles and wonton soup. Anywhere in the world where it is acceptable to eat cold fried noodles and spicy wonton soup for breakfast is absolutely fantastic in my book! Weather was fantastic on Sunday so I decided to stay by the pool in the morning and start to recouperate.

In the afternoon I decided to wonder down Nathan Road and Kimberly Road, fairly close to the hotel in Kowloon. Lots of little shops and Tailors. Very Busy and with heat about 27c it was feeling quite exhausting. Stopped and had a quick and dirty lunch of Shrimp Wonton Soup with Noodles. Then like a big pleb I had 'Chocolate Therapy' Ben & Jerrys. It seemed to do the trick.

In the evening I treated myself to possibly one of the best meals I've ever had! This is big!I won't bore you with all the details but it was at Spoon by Alain Ducasse at the hotel. Way too many courses including Frogs legs, crayfish & porcini mushroom broth, foie gras terrine with cherry compote, non pc I know but it was the best thing on the menu. Then a Rare Beef with potato gnocci and mushrooms. Dessert absolutely fantastic chocolate desert with a pre-desert of raspberries and ice cream. All in all amazing! Don't think about the price!!

Today though I woke up at 4.00 am and could not get back to sleep. What is wrong with me, I used to be able to sleep for England/Wales (depending on your preference!) This is not good for me i don't do well with such a lack of sleep. I think my body is unhappy for all the late nights courtesy of Sarah Jones et al who have forced me to stay out late in the last few weeks ;)! Damn those Welsh/Irish boys.

Therefore today was a change of plan and an attempt to slow down my normal manic pace! I chilled a bit by the pool this morning then had lunch at an old school dim sum place in Central. Maxim's at City Hall, they bring round the dim sum/dumplings in big trolleys and you can pick what you want. Good food but I was still not quite feeling myself.

A lazy afternoon back at the pool before it got to cool then another bath to try and chill myself out. Had dinner at Nobu! Now I know what you are thinking, yes this is the last of the extravangance!! Was well worth it. Had an impromptu sake tasting with the sommelier, talking about whether you should drink Sake warm or chilled. Apparently in depends on the time of year and the quality of the Sake? Who knew.

Anyway enough, love to you all and I'm hoping for a better nights kip tonight!! x

Tags: city!

About rebecca_fardoe


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.