Existing Member?

My Travel Journal

1st-2nd May 2009

HONG KONG | Monday, 4 May 2009 | Views [425]

So! Here goes.

After Sam, Cathy and Lee dropped me off at the airport I was all alone! I'd decided to upgrade my ticket to premium economy (149 pounds)in the hope of being able to get a bit of sleep so there was a bit of a queue to pay the upgrade fee.

After another queue at security and seperate security for my shoes there was only a little bit of time for window shopping and some final phone calls and that was about it. We starting boarding about 10pm. Cheeky glass of champagne before take off and we were off.

The flight itself was great, only problem was my TV/entertainment system wasn't working! I was not impressed after already deciding on the many movies I was going to watch. But at least it forced me to try and get some sleep. Of course I managed to eat a bit more food after the massive meal Lee had cooked before I left and after a small glass of wine managed to get a few hours sleep.

We arrived on time in Hong Kong. There had been a confirmed case of Swine Flu in Hong Kong and so there was extra paper work to fill in at the airport but apart from that it was pretty straight forward. ATM didn't seem to be working though so still no Hong Kong dollars $! I caught the Airport Express to Kowloon station which was remarkably easy and efficient. They then have free buses to take you to major sites and hotels. So arrived at the Intercontinental a little over an hour after landing in Hong Kong!

Caroline at work had arranged for me to meet up with one of her best friends in Hong Kong, Liz so I called her when I arrived and arranged to meet in the lobby at 10pm.

Still didn't have any cash so managed to find an ATM in the shopping mall attached to the hotel. Long story short I'm an idiot and had apparently remembered my Nationwide account pin incorrectly! So the machine swallowed my card. This is the account I got specifically to avoid paying ATM withdrawal fees! Not impressed. So ending up using my normal account card anyway.

Hotel itself is absolutely fantastic! Felt a little bit out of place not having my usual selection of shoes and dresses! Sam and anyone who has sat through my Florida photos will know what i mean!

Met Liz and had a very expensive cocktail, Saketini $130 dollars - I think that is about 12pounds but it was large and came in its own shaker so I think it was probably about 2 cocktails - trying to make myself feel better. Anyway I love Sake but it does make me a little bit merry!

We then caught the Star Ferry over to Soho and Central and had a few drinks over there. Met a few of her friends, one of whom owns a bar where we spent the majority of the evening. Eventually getting a taxi back at around 3am. Long long day!!

Tags: flights and city

About rebecca_fardoe


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.