Existing Member?

RandYwakefield This is the story of R-Robin and Y-Yasuko Wakefield in Canada, USA, and a touch of Mexico

SAN FRANCISCO

USA | Tuesday, 2 October 2007 | Views [571]

Golden Gate at noon

Golden Gate at noon

We left Yosemite by the western gate after visiting Hetch Hetchy dam, which was quite pretty, but again the waterfalls were dry.  The four hour drive from Yosemite was through some nice green fruit orchards and wine country – a bit of a change from the deserts of Arizona and Nevada.  Arrived in San Francisco through Oakland via the Bay Bridge – which is a double-decker somewhat longer than the Golden Gate Bridge.  Our (Worldmark) unit was right in the middle of town, up near Nob Hill and one block from Chinatown. It was good to have a refrigerator and microwave and make our own tea and catch up on some laundry. Lois and the helpful front desk staff gave us plenty of local info to guide us around.  We had the car until morning so took a drive over the G/G Bridge to Sausalito by the bay on the north shore and tried a Japanese restaurant instead of Chinatown. Still had some car time left in the morning so drove around town a bit and took a circuit over 3 of the 5 big bridges spanning Oakland Bay.  

We dutifully went to Fishermen’s Wharf and enjoyed some good seafood. The sea lions that lounge around on the pontoons next to the dock are also a great attraction – although a bit noisy.  Took a cruise out under the G/G Bridge which was completely shrouded in fog at noon and whipped by a brass-monkey kind of breeze - c’est la vie. Rushed back to our room for a hot bath and rum toddy – (see photo).

The cable cars are a bit of fun and the steep hills have to be seen to be believed.  Also dutifully tried some Italian food at North Beach which was as good as New York.  Away from the central business district there are mostly low to medium rise buildings with plenty of water views – a bit like Sydney in some ways.  We enjoyed the atmosphere of San Francisco – a good place to finish our whirlwind tour of Canada and USA. Next off to Honolulu then home.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.