Existing Member?

RandYwakefield This is the story of R-Robin and Y-Yasuko Wakefield in Canada, USA, and a touch of Mexico

YOSEMITE

USA | Friday, 28 September 2007 | Views [639]

BIG TREE with WOMAN and BLANKET

BIG TREE with WOMAN and BLANKET

Because of our full travel schedule we only had 2 days at Yosemite and we had left it a bit late to book our accommodation, but finally found a hotel some 15 miles from the park entrance.  We got to know that stretch of mountain road quite well – along with the 35 miles to reach Yosemite Valley after entering the park - 50 miles each way each day (if you don’t have to go back to recharge the camera battery) – then it’s an extra 100 miles (not kms) of tight mountain curves – no passing - yellow line fever.

But the drive was worth it.  The valley was gouged out aeons ago by a glacier in one of the ice ages making a fantastic vista of sheer rock faces plunging down to an idyllic valley with fields and streams and with waterfalls coming down the rock faces here and there. Went to the giant sequoia grove (the second time) early in the morning and it was pretty cold, but fortunately we had a suitcase full of winter clothes in the car, so at last we had a chance to use them.  We saw (some of) the giant sequoias and some ponderous ponderosas and heaps of rocks and plenty of pine trees.  Unfortunately, didn’t see any bears, but lots of squirrels. Being late summer, most of the spring melting snow was gone and some of the waterfalls (and lakes) were dry, but it was still very spectacular.

Like the Grand Canyon, some of the areas are only accessible by (free) shuttle bus – park and ride.  There are only a few hotels and lodges in the park – plenty of camp sites, but we didn’t bring our tent. On the positive side, our hotel had a hot spa pool which was good to relax in after a long day of driving and walking around the park.  Could’ve stayed longer to see all the beauty spots, but on on to San Francisco, our final mainland destination.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.