Existing Member?

road to meet

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 24 April 2012 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

I barely knew where I was going and the beginning of this yeah when they told me "get ready to La Guajira". I knew it was a dry, dessert, awesome place with such beautiful beaches and the top of the south America continent. The place of the "Wayuu" culture. A native culture with 2 nationalities, the have none borders between Venezuela and Colombia. The live as an hermetic community and fighting to survive against the sun, the sand and the lack of many vegetables. They live of lamb, fish and yuca. The few cows they have, are only eaten on the big parties, letting people know the wealthy of the family. I spent 20 days there. Living their culture, learning how they share and are close to the foreign at the same time. Very poor in the elements they use to cook, the way the women cook the lamb is a dayly mission. Nothing more than salt and oil is what they use at the stove.
That's the key of their culture, and the way they interact with people, they are tough and simple at the first view but with a lot of flavor in the deep inside.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About rafaelospino


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.