Existing Member?

road to meet

Wayuú, people in sand

COLOMBIA | Friday, 5 July 2013 | Views [246]

The wayuús are a native community located up in the north of Colombia and part of Venezuela. They live in the desert, they share their lives with the sand, the sea and the wind. The roughness of the landscape, the lack of water and the oversight of the two countries they live have made them one of the most hermetic community to try to get into. It's been more than a month living with them, sharing their food, their traditions, some burials (one of their more interesting rituals) and their lack of water. They live because of their strenght and the force of their women. The most important member of the community are women and the "talkers", who solve the problems among families and look after all the members. The talkers are like judges and women take desitions at one or more homes. Finding them and their real way of live up in the high-guajira (the northern part of the continent) has been one of the most wonderful experiencies I've lived.

Tags: alta guajira, guajira, north, wayuú

About rafaelospino


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.