Existing Member?

Shake'n it Up

We Will, We Will...Rock You. Rock You.

THAILAND | Wednesday, 25 March 2009 | Views [719] | Comments [3]

I made it. Twenty-two meters later (60ish feet...?), I arrived at the peak. Railay Beach was off to my left and was glittered with longtail boats. The 12 foot long palm leaves that I climbed through was just a canopy hiding me from the rest of the climbers. This was on of the most challenging but most rewarding climbs I've experienced. I've climbed with my brother in Southern California along beautiful rocks above the ocean, but this climb was special. I was worlds away in Thailand on some of the most elaborate displays of limestone. There were points during this last climb where I feared for my grip and just trusted that my jump over to the next pocket would secure my footing. Flawless. 

That climb probably lasted less than 10 minutes, and it left me craving more, but the climbing package and my body had expired. Molly joined me for the half day of climbing and had never climbed in her life. She showed those rocks who was boss! She rocked those rocks and we couldn't stop glowing.

Our island adventures continued another few nights in Railay and then we were off to Phi Phi. (hey look, I learned how to include links in my blog!) Phi Phi was only an hour and a half boat ride but I wish it had gone on forever. I perched myself on the top patio of the boat to soak in some cancerous UV rays and took in all of the beautiful scenery. Transportation via water is key, plus it's a great opportunity for me to meet more people. I ended up striking up conversation with a Kiwi named James who had a similar travel itinerary and was easily entertained by his adventures.

We arrived in Phi Phi like a swarm of bees entering the island. We've been told that the island was heavily populated by tourists and that it was rather difficult to find a decent guest house. This was true. The streets were lined with vendors and overly-tan bodies. The town was a maze of activity. I ended up rushing past the congestion with James to search for guest house while Molly and Hannah relaxed with their Lonely Planets at a nearby cafe.

The guest houses on Phi Phi were over-priced and pretty run down, but I ended up finding a decent place just minutes from the beach. They even threw in a free breakfast. As long as the accommodations were clean and could squeeze three girls comfortably, we had success.

Moments after checking into the guest house, I ran into some other friends I had made during the trek in Chang Mai. Of course. They were actually staying right next to us. What are the chances?


My nights on Phi Phi consisted of drinking Thai-inspired concoctions from mini buckets and watching Thai Kickboxing with an entire collection of new friends from all over the world. The days were full of beach hopping, snorkeling and relaxing.


The water along the beaches were almost too clear to be real. I felt like I was snorkeling on a set, in a pool, where they imported the sand, the rocks, the sea creatures. The water around some of the lagoons was so clear you could see all of the fish from the boat. I was even bombarded with schools of fish when the tour guide decided to throw in everybody's left over lunch right above my head. I was getting kisses from hundreds of little fishies! A traffic jam of fish directly in front of my face. Such a beautiful and lively scene.


Oh, and the sand. It wasn't even sand, it was pure powder. The finest, whitest grain of sand I've ever walked on. I could even make my very own sand ball. Do you think the airlines would mind if I brought a few tons back to Portland? I may have to import some palm trees and sunshine as well.

Comments

1

Rachelle, you are one lucky, amazing little traveler.

  emily Mar 26, 2009 5:01 AM

2

Hi Rachelle,

Sorry we missed in Bangkok. I would have been glad to take you out for an overpriced dinner!!

Your stories are great, I can say I do know all the cites you have visited but I missed the elegant accomodations!

Take care and safe travels,
Don

  don rindell Mar 26, 2009 4:15 PM

3

Hey Rachelle,
I'm loving reading about your adventures. I think you've found your calling. You should see about a job with Globetreker.

  Cheri Mar 27, 2009 9:55 AM

About rachellevagy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.