Existing Member?

My travels

Mumbai

INDIA | Monday, 16 March 2009 | Views [476]

According to lonely planet, the Goa - Mumbai train is supposed to be one of the most beautiful train journeys in India and it’s true it was quite amazing. We thought that we would be able see the sea from the train but during the entire trip a hill was between the train and the seaside. Even though the scenery was not what we were expecting it was very green, we passed many rivers that were about to open into estuaries on reaching the sea. At one point we followed a river for almost 1 hour. Although it was dark we knew when we were arriving in Bombay because we could see a multitude of lights from the window of the train. We went to the first hotel we could find (which was pretty posh!) got cable internet in the room and crashed out.

After a lazy start the next day, we went for a wander around the Colaba area, passing lots of  grand old colonial buildings and open squares. Our aimless wanderings found us standing outside our favourite shop – Fabindia J. So of course we had to go inside and buy lots of nice things for not a lot of money! (unfortunately we then had to carry all the stuff around for the next few days- fiouf!!). We found a really cool place to eat lunch then we spent ages on the internet desperately trying to book train tickets to travel in Rajasthan. On the way to the train station, we grabbed a taxi (in rush hour!!) which drove us along the huge sea front promenade (of several km) as the sun was setting over the fantastic Bombay skyline. After an hour and half we arrived at the other side of town at the train station, which was a complete dump and neither of liked it one bit. Unfortunately we had a two and a half hour wait for our train L

We were sitting around feeling bored and a little uncomfortable, when suddenly an elderly gentleman wearing a large turban and traditional dress. He sat down in front of us a started happily talking away to us in Punjabi. We kept telling him in English that we didn’t understand what he was saying but that didn’t stop him! He just kept on talking and asking us questions! Everyone around was looking at us, smiling at the situation. A young guy sitting nearby came to our aid and started acting a translator. It turned out the young guy (called Paresh) was from the Gujarat and only understood a little punjabi but he could translate what the old man was saying in Hindi. We spent a hilarious half an hour with the four of us, and he insisted on Marc writing his name and telephone number and address in France (Even though if he were to call Marc neither person would have a clue what the other was saying!!). Paresh was really good sport and he laughing a lot with us. One message that we managed to understand was the old man had thought that we looked bored waiting for our train so he had come to brighten up our time, (which he succeeded in doing very well!) and make half an hour pass much faster.

Just after our new friends left, Jacqui went off to find a toilet and Marc was accosted by some young guys asking if he had sunglasses or money. It was a shame to have a not so nice experience directly follow such a nice one.

Finally our train to Agra arrived, we thankfully climbed on and got settled for our longest train journey yet – 23hrs!!!

 

About qui001


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.