Existing Member?

europe 2013 A where we can, when we can, account of our self drive trip around Ireland-Britain-France

Howden-York-Escrick

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 16 September 2013 | Views [391]

One thing I noticed yesterday, and forgot to comment on, was the appearance of the ubiquitous green landrover.  We have seen quite a lot of them on the roads in the past couple of days, driven by ye ole farmer.

We spent all of today in the old city of York.  Currently we are only about 10 miles,  as the crow flies, from our B&B of last night, at a hotel, The Parsonage, in Escrick.  A bit more expensive, but we figured all the driving around we do looking for B & B's just chews up the gas.  So we might save in one regard but spend in the other.  

York is a beautiful old medieval town.  Surrounded by a wall built in the Roman times.  The wall itself has been built on a man made bank.  It must have taken several 1000 medieval slaves to build it.  An old tower, that looks over the city, was also high up on a domed earth platform.  The city itself is a myriad of old lanes and roadways, with buildings of many different styles so very pleasing to the eye when seen together. 

A massive ornate minster, as they called it, dominates the centre of town.  I took some photos but they don't really do it justice.

There isn't much parking in the town, and what is available is expensive.  I saw a small parking lot with an hourly rate of £2.30.  However, despite it's small size there were plenty of available parks, so if you can't be bothered catching the bus... There is a good park-and-ride service which takes you from about 5km out of town into the centre and is £2.60 return for the day.  We took advantage of this service which starts from a huge designer outlet centre with free parking.  So.. if the shopping in York isn't enough for you there's plenty more at the designer centre to keep you going.  York itself is the most shopped town I've seen, so far.  Even a Disney store!!

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.