Existing Member?

europe 2013 A where we can, when we can, account of our self drive trip around Ireland-Britain-France

Monmouth - Howden

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 15 September 2013 | Views [428]

Internet connection is poor in our current B & B so this will be short and sweet.  Yesterday the weather packed in, although not as badly as predicted.  We ended up doing a lot of driving which has got us just south of York in a small town called Howden.  The Lakes seemed too far away for the amount of time we have left and the weather didn't look like it would play ball either so....  we have headed north east.  

On our travels we have seen solar farms, wind farms and yesterday two nuclear power plants.  We stayed last night out in the country again.  Yesterday Janice took over the pilots seat and I navigated.  We try to avoid motorways. But yesterday was a mixture of everything.  We continue to drive through miles and miles of farm land and small villages.  As I think I've already said a lot more expansive looking than NZ.  All our hills and mountains really close us in!  The road numbers and a good map make navigation easy.  The only time we strike any problems is while driving through some of the bigger towns.  We have found  that looking for the painted road number on the road itself is the way to go here.  Sometimes it's hard to read, but there's no rule as to how many times you can go round a round-about.  We had fun and games finding our nights accommodation.  We ended up driving round the farm paddocks on a dirt road and came in via the back door!  Our host was most surprised but we got there in the end.  A day in York today and then we start heading back south.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.