Existing Member?

europe 2013 A where we can, when we can, account of our self drive trip around Ireland-Britain-France

Highbridge - Monmouth

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 14 September 2013 | Views [379]

We had a brief tour of Burnham-on-Sea just out from Highbridge.  Essentially, to get a decent map of the UK so as to make Janices navigation easier.  Tide was out, a long way, and many small boats were high and dry on the sand.  The beach itself was very much as I expected, windswept and cold looking.  Most of the weekend tourists were huddled in the cafes eating and drinking, or shopping in the main street.  From there we headed inland to Bath.  The centre of town was full of tourists all lined up to look at the Roman bath house.  We chose not to join them!  We decided to wander the streets and take in the sights and it was not long after that I heard a familiar voice.  Kathy from Noosa:-)   Half way round the world and we bump into each other on the street.  In fact she spotted me first.  I was window shopping while waiting for Janice outside a camera shop. We did some catching up and comparing of notes.  We have only been a day or two away from each other in our last few stops.  Kathy and Lyn (yes another one) plus two other travelling companions are heading to the Lakes District.  We're hoping to get there too so we may meet again.  From 4.30pm onwards we started looking for a B&B for the night.  We have learn't a lesson!  Always prebook your accommodation in England for the weekends.  If it's not a sports event it's a wedding that's booked out the town.  It took us till 8pm to find somewhere!!  And that was only after a kind Inn owner offered to help us track somewhere down via phone.  Otherwise we'd probably still be looking!  It's way off the beaten track!!  And Janice and I are now officially a couple as the only bed was a double!!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.