Existing Member?

europe 2013 A where we can, when we can, account of our self drive trip around Ireland-Britain-France

Midleton - (Carlow)

IRELAND | Sunday, 8 September 2013 | Views [339]

Last night's B&B was a Fawlty Towers of sorts. " Bugle" playing host, somewhere down the hall,  had us in fits of laughter later in the evening.  Janice never actually got to meet him but I did when he came to make a few ineffectual attempts to do something with the poor internet connection, looking dapper in his tweed suit and fine moustache.  Then there was the incident with the missing teabags.  Both Janice and another guest were wandering around the hallways trying to find someone to help with our loss.  Janice finally scored a few but the other hapless guest never did...so he told us at breakfast.  

I was fascinated to watch, what appeared to be, the passing parade of a gypsy wedding reception as I typed yesterdays story in the foyer of the local hotel.  Ten inch heels on girls tottering along in colourful, mini, mini skirts.

 At the moment we're in Dungarvan having our first coffee for the day...

Tonight's B&B is on a country lane east of Carlow.  Sightseeing today was done from the car.  Miles and miles of Pukekohe type countryside.  But, to my eyes, prettier with the quaint cottages and stately homes bordered by verdant green paddocks and stone walls.  Public and private buildings in the towns were bedecked with flower boxes overflowing with geraniums, petunias lobelias and begonia.  Bridges, roundabouts all have their flower boxes.   

Food is easy.  Most towns have good facilities and it is a short drive between them.  We had a stop in Waterford to take in the Waterford crystal display and shop.  €750 for 4 wine glasses if anyones interested!

Tonight we took an hour long walk along the country lanes near here with the B&B dog Rex.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.