Existing Member?

europe 2013 A where we can, when we can, account of our self drive trip around Ireland-Britain-France

Dublin - Galway

IRELAND | Wednesday, 4 September 2013 | Views [342] | Comments [2]

Beautiful sunny day today.  Drove the back roads.Lovely country driving. Flat to rolling land very like the Waikato.  Houses generally, although older, are better kept than in NZ.  The overgrown hedges that border the paddocks make sight seeing difficult and even if you do see something worth a look, finding a place to pull off the road is not easy.  Trim is a pretty touristy town. Remains of a huge castle and moat right in the centre. An imposing sight  as you enter the town.  Braveheart the movie was filmed here.  I have also learn't that we can blame the Norman's for taxes and central government.

We're staying in a B & B tonight at Salt Hill Galway.  We were hoping to walk into town to find a place to eat but rain is now threatening.  I'm sitting typing this in an alcove off our room.  I can hear Janice snoring so the day must have caught up with her. Dinner will have to wait.

 

Thanks for your comments Dave, Judy and Bryn. Yes great to catch up Bryn. I trust you and Bronwyn enjoyed the remainder of your time in Noosa.

 

Dinner was "fun" last night.  A Pakistani served us speaking Irish with an accent. Neither of us could understand a word the other was saying.  Fortunately we shared a sense of humour so it was laughs all round:-) 

 

Comments

1

Lynette, you will have distant relations in Ireland also. Dad's mother 's family hail from county cork. Mum's maternal side (cotter) is also from Ireland.

  Grant Sep 5, 2013 1:29 PM

2

Yes I've already seen a couple of Neil look-a-likes!

  Lyn Sep 5, 2013 4:41 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.