Existing Member?

Halfway Around the World

Tbilisi (Day 1)

GEORGIA | Tuesday, 6 May 2008 | Views [843] | Comments [1]

"You have a George Bush St?"  "Yes, Tbilisi, my city...is paradox,"  replied my driver as we careened through the rain pelted streets.  I was going to ask him to expand on the point but unfortunetely his English was only slightly better than my Russian and I don't actually speak Russian.  As we bounced from pot-hole to pot-hole I couldn't make much sense of his lane changes, gear shifts, or horn use but he was friendly and we arrived at the Hotel Argo Palace in one peice.

If you are looking for a modern hotel and all the ammenities that come with it then the Argo Palace is not for you.  Located three blocks south of Melikishvili Ave it is a simple place.  But the staff is friendly and helpful; only one speaks English but they seem to time her work shifts with the arrival of guests.  For around $30 a night you get a large, clean room, a private bathroom a small balcony (mine had a view of the Mount with its TV Tower, which at night is lit up like a Christmas Tree) and a cooked breakfast.

I wandered the streets of Tbilisi for several hours before the neverending rain drove me to finding the restaurant recommeded to me by the hotel. I eventually found the Vera Steakhouse, nestled within the park of the same name.  I was a little worried at first.  I make a big effort to eat at local restaurants when I travel and with it's wrap around bar, projection screen, and live music I was worried I had stumbled upon Georgia's answer to Applebees.  However, the place quickly filled up with Georgians, at least I assume they were Georgian they all spoke Russian.  The food was good, the local wine from the Teliani Valley was excellent and half way through my meal they put up the Newcastle vs Chelsea match on the big screen.  I was having a damn good time.

By the time I left the restaurant the pestering rain had become a torrential downpour.  I trudged my way back uphill, and would have been soaked to the bone had it not been for the invention of Gortex.  Some of the roads were so flooded it was like fording a stream.  I hopped from pavemnet outcrop to pavement outcrop in the flowing water.  Add to this the interesting gutter system they have here; pipes run down to the first floor before shooting out the sides of the buidlings depositing their contests on the pavement and I was more then happy to make it back to my warm hotel room. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be a nicer day.

Tags: overland trip, pushmorphine, silk road, sunshine bus, tbilisi

 

Comments

1

DearEddie,

Enjoyed your first report about Turkey but my comment may have been lost because my comment was erased before I entered the code to avoid spam. So now I will enter the current one DEPZAX. It all sounds like a great adventure I will look forward to more. Have a fantastic trip and God be with you all the way.

Peace, brother Robert

  brother robert May 7, 2008 12:40 AM

About pushmorphine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Georgia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.