Existing Member?

Halfway Around the World

The 'bul

TURKEY | Monday, 5 May 2008 | Views [1228] | Comments [2]

Istanbul, the gateway to Asia and also the first stop on my grand adventure from Turkey all the way to New Zealand.

My friend Mehmet's father, Mustafa, picked me up from the airport and drove me through the city to their beautiful apartment in a compound that sits high up on the hills overlooking the Bosphorus. I was immediately adopted by the family, given Mehmet's old room and even offered the use of his clothes.  Since I'll be travelling for the next seven months I hadn't exactly brought any nice clothes.  Turkish hospitality is almost overwhelming.  I have been made to feel completely at home by Mustafa, his wife Melek, their daughter Sinem and her fiancee Ergin.

It was actually Mustafa's birthday the day I arrived, luckily I came armed with gifts, and that night we headed out to celebrate.  One entire side of the restaurant, Topaz, was thirty feet high plate glass windows, with a stunning view of the Bosphorus Bridge, and the sea.  Our table was of course front and center.  I sat there mesmerized by the view while stuffing myself with Turkish delicacies all washed down by a Turkish liquor called Raki.  Think a slightly stronger Ouzo (45%) that is served on ice and mixed with water.

Was up and out of the apartment by 1000 the next morning and spent the next eight hours wandering around the old city.  Saw the Topkapi Palace, including the Harem, the Blue Mosque, The Basilica of Hagia Sophie, the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, plus multiple other less known Mosques and sites.  Got lost a few times, managed to avoid the huge riots between the Labor Unions and the Riot Police who seemed determined to celebrate the first of May by recreating the 1977 Taksim Square Massacre.  Had some tea and did a little writing before taking a taxi back the apartment.  Of course, the driver tried to change the set price when we arrived.  This started a heated argument where I told him he could have the 25 lira or nothing.  It ended with me throwing the money at him as I stepped out of the cab followed by a torrent of Turkish cuss words.  All in all a very satisfactory day, the weather is so nice here I even got a little sunburned.

That night, Thursday, we had a dinner party where I met much of the extended Saracer family.  The food was delicious, all hand made by Mustafa over the past two days.  His uncle is a very famous Turkish journalist and at one point he had to get up from the table to make a phone call.  Next thing I know they turn on the TV and he is talking on the news, via the phone in the bedroom, about the day's riots.  He talks for about ten minutes, hangs up and then rejoins us for desert.  All very surreal.

On Friday I had my first experience of the Istanbul Metro system.  It is quick, clean and cheap.  Only 1.30 YTL per journey, maybe London should learn what with it's ridiculous Tube prices.  Went to see Taksim Square, where the riots had been in full force the day before.  Still a small police presence but nothing compared to the army of riot cops who had been out the day before.  Walked down to Galata tower where you get a great 360 degree view of the entire city before stopping for lunch at one of the many restaurants that pack the quays of the Bosphorus.  Finished the walk off with a quick visit of the Istanbul Modern Art Museum.

That night I went out with an old friend from university, Burak. He took me to an incredible fish restaurant on the Bosphorus. Never saw a menu, Burak would just speak to the waiter and another delicious plate would arrive.  This was followed by a quick tour of Istanbul nightlife at various bars.

Saturday was a slightly later start than usually due to the previous evenings activities.  Went to visit the Dolmabahce Palace with it's myriad of chandeliers, including one that weighs four and a half tons!  Wandered through some of the parks and had some tea at a cafe overlooking the Bosphorus.

On Sunday morning Mustafa, Melek and I walked down to the Bebek area and had brunch with Sirem and Ergin.  Then we headed to Ergyn's apartment for tea and coffee.  It was a wonderfully relaxing day, which my exhausted legs much needed.

Tomorrow morning I leave for Tbilisi where the adventures will truly begin.

Ed

Tags: istanbul, pushmorphine

 

Comments

1

Hi Eddie...don't know if you know my brother Peter is married to a girl of Turkish descent, their oldest son's middle name is Mustafa (after Peri's Dad) and they once had a dog called Melek! I guess even in Turkey there are the "Smiths" and "Jones"!!!!! Bon Voyage...we love hearing about your adventures!!! My daughter Tyler wants to know when you'll be back in Paris as she will be in Rome August 24 to December 14 and would love to visit!!! Your cousin Sarah Flanagan

  Sarah Flanagan May 16, 2008 9:38 AM

2

I liked the comment **Saturday was a slightly later start than usually due to the previous evenings activities** , interesting....

  Burak Kesimoglu May 17, 2008 6:56 AM

About pushmorphine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.