Existing Member?

RTW in 90 days

Delhi, India - HAPPY DIWALI

INDIA | Tuesday, 28 October 2008 | Views [1096] | Comments [4]

Diwali diyas

Diwali diyas

Happy Diwali to all.

To see Diwali in India has been a dream of mine for many years. The fireworks were going off non-stop all night on Diwali but the feeling was not dissimilar to Guy Fawkes or Diwali in London. Apparently Diwali has been a quiet affair here than in previous years - not that you'd know!. All the houses are decorated with fairy lights or real diyas etc and it looks beautiful.

Staying at Amarya Haveli in Haus Khas Enclave, South Delhi and it is a beautiful place run by 2 French guys Matthew and Alex.

Sham arrived yesterday (and is having a massage while I write this). It's now 12:00 and we are only just getting started for a day of shopping!!!

~ Time lapse ~

The first few days in Delhi, we have been on a mission. We have been shopping for 3 days (almost non-stop) as we need to get kitted out for Monica's wedding on 14 Nov. I have to say that shopping in Delhi is difficult as its not all in one area but thanks to Gayatri (Monica's friend), we managed to survive the ordeal (just).

Happy to report that all the shopping is over (at least for the next few days until we reach Jaipur) and now looking forward to starting the tour of Rajasthan which starts tomorrow morning 9:00 am - and since I am writing this at 2:00am, someone is going to be a bit bleary eyed tomorrow!!!

We haven't had a chance to sample any of the famed Delhi night life or any delicacies but one of the shops that we spent a lot of time in, provided us with delicious samosas, ras gullas and a yummy local sweet called 'milk cake' on Diwali day.

Well I'm off to bed now (or I'll never get up in time for Rajasthan)

Speak to you from Rajasthan - next stop Mandawa then Bikaner and then Jaiselmer........

Comments

1

Hi Priti and Sham,

happy diwali and sal mubarak, glad to hear you're having a good time, enjoy shopping.
love sujata

  sujata Oct 29, 2008 6:10 AM

2

Hey girls,

Hope you a great Diwali evening and Happy New Year. Shopping, massages, beautiful havelis....talk about rubbing it in! If you want to feel even more smug, it was pouring buckets here last night...

Love
Alpana

  Alpana Oct 29, 2008 8:18 PM

3

hey cookie! sounds great! did you bungee from vic falls?
i had jumped off vic falls 2000 new years (mine was a bungee PUSH though, as kinda wasnt ready to jump and the bungee guys gave me gentle nudge)
looking forward to seeing you soon. do email me your travel details re. arrival at palace etc
hugs

  monica Oct 30, 2008 10:22 AM

4

Hi friends
Thanks for reading my journal and adding your comments which I have enjoyed reading. Sorry I haven't been able to respond to each of you individually but will try and do so soon. Take care and love you all.

regards
Priti

  pshah13 Oct 31, 2008 7:07 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.