Existing Member?

RTW in 90 days

Rajasthan - Mandawa, Bikaner, Jaiselmer

INDIA | Sunday, 2 November 2008 | Views [3497]

Beautiful Jain temple decorated in glass near Bikaner

Beautiful Jain temple decorated in glass near Bikaner

I first visited Rajasthan in 1992 and so much has changed since then. The authentic villages and scenes of women in colourful sarees near water wells is long gone. People generally seem to have a better standard of living which is great.

We visited the above 3 places in Rajasthan so far and currently writing from Jaiselmer - the Golden Fort City.

We are staying at the Garh Jaisal which is heritage hotel within the fort with fantastic views of the city. We met some lovely people in Jaiselmer and saw some lovely places too. Visited the Jain temples (7) for the evening Aart which is open only to Jains.  Also met a lovely artist called Kamal who was quickly learing to be a businesssman and not just an artist.

We had glorious authentic Rajasthani food (Ker Sangri) on the roof of Jaiselmer overlooking the whole town which was served by Desert Boys restaurant. The evening would have been very romantic but Sham really isn't my type. Ker Sangri seemed to contain capers, guvar (green veg), raisins, peauts, onions etc. It was tasty.

We also had some bajra na rotla, gur and dahi for lunch today - yummy.

Mandawa had some old crumbling havelis with beautful faded paintwork within a crummy little village.

Bikaner was a lovely city and the interior of the Lallgarh Palace hotel was caught in a timewarp. We decided to follow the Lonely Planet guide and head to a heritage place called Bhairav Vilas for food which was disappointing.

The Deshnoke rat temple was an experience not to be repeated too soon. Apparently, its lucky if a rat crosses your feet (as opposed to you stepping on one which I have to say is very easy!!!) and also lucky if you see a white rat. Well based on that, I must be very very lucky - but I already knew that!!!!!!. Lets just say that the best thing we did was to wear socks which we quickly disposed of outside the temple.

Sorry no new pictures as internet connections are very slow.

Next stop Jodhpur

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.