Existing Member?

On the Loose

Managing the altitude, climbing up to Potala Palace

CHINA | Friday, 18 September 2009 | Views [1101] | Comments [1]

Potala Palace

Potala Palace

Wednesday September 16, 2009.   It was not an easy climb up to Potala Palace to say the least, but we were not the only people stopping to rest and catch our breaths along the way.  We started early when it was cooler.  The experience of being inside this amazing place was certainly worth the climb, and the views from the top were breathtaking.  After returning to town, we saw how yak yarn was spun, dyed and woven into the beautiful Tibetan carpets.  Had a decent lunch.  Anne, who was not anxious to eat anything, found French fries on the menu and made that her only order.  First, they came with two pieces   of buttered toast and jam.  She looked depressed and pointed to French fries on the menu.  When they finally reached the table, they were surprisingly good. 

In the afternoon, we visited Norbulingka, the summer palace of successive Dalai lamas.  It is now listed as a World Heritage Site, and is a beautiful, peaceful (If one can ignore the strong presence of military) place.  We then went to the Jokhang Temple, recognized as the holiest place in Tibet.  Thank goodness, it is also a World Heritage Site or most likely it would have been destroyed by the present government.  Sadly, many important buildings have already been destroyed.  Anne is feeling much better but still not back to normal, and we both get exhausted easily.  We have opted for a short visit to the market, and early dinner and bedtime.

Some topic notes:

Weather

Never mind that you have been told about the brutal cold here.  It is so darn hot you can almost reach out and touch the heat of the sun.  To think we were thinking of silk underwear and how to strap a jacket on the carryon!!!!!

Politics

Nothing more will be said on that subject during this trip.  We wouldn’t want poor Bill Clinton to travel west and make another daring rescue so soon after the last one.

Street Vendors

This actually happened.  Lady wanted to sell a bracelet for 60 Yuan (about 6 dollars).  I kept walking.  She came down to 50, then 40, then 30.  I kept walking.  She then offered two bracelets for 20, saying “mo cheap, cheaperest, cheaperer, etc.  I kept walking.  Next it was four bracelets for 10.  I never missed a step.  Good that I reached the hotel when she started holding up six bracelets.  Else,  she may have been giving me the bracelets for free plus extra Yuan.  Darndest thing!

Hotel 

Does this resemble any hotel we’ve ever stayed anywhere in the world?   ERRRR, let me see.  NO, NO, NO.  Staff is friendly, and they really try, but NO.  We changed rooms from one above the street where car horns blasted all night (Everyone drives with one hand on the horn!) and a leaking commode to another.  This one has a shower with no curtain, no nothing.  Just a drain.  After a shower, you have to wade out of the bathroom.  Not really complaining, because we checked out others, but Anne has to have internet connection for her on-line classes in the morning, and this one complied. 

Tags: lhasa, potala palace, tibet

Comments

1

Wow! It really does sound like a once in a lifetime trip! So glad that you all are having a good adventure.

H

  Howard Sep 19, 2009 12:10 AM

About poeanne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.