Existing Member?

On the Loose

If it's Tuesday, it must be Tibet!

CHINA | Friday, 18 September 2009 | Views [533]

Sera Monastary

Sera Monastary

Our first introduction to the mighty Himalayas was from the plane window.  Let’s just say they were far too close on both sides of the plane, and it was more comfortable looking straight ahead.  No problems finding our driver and getting to Lhasa.  Drive was over a paved but very rough road and the 36 miles took more than an hour.  We were driving along the Yurlung Tsapo River, Tibet’s largest, which left its banks at will, leaving small islands everywhere.  Crops of all kind were being grown in this fertile soil and sold along the roadway.

While we were all feeling fine during the drive, it was when we reached the hotel that the altitude smacked two of us right in the face.  I, Carol, have  suffered through one really bad high-altitude experience, but it was Anne who was suffering most here.  Jennifer, the mountain climber, only thumbs her nose at heights, even here in the “highest country in the world”.  What can we say when the entire hotel seems to be moving under your feet?  She had bad headaches, nausea, shaking hands, etc.  We tried to stick to our game plan of only aspirin and gallons of water, but while it worked for me, it did not help Anne.  Finally, Jen called an audible, and we broke out a canister of oxygen.  A man from Denmark, who had suffered a really bad case, said that was the only thing that helped him.  It actually helped Anne right away.  After a cold shower (We have no hot water), she was feeling better, and determined to attempt the climb early in the morning to the Potala Palace,  the Dalai Lama’s home before he was forced to leave the country.  Dinner was a disaster.  I won’t go into details.  Hoping for the best tomorrow.

Tags: lhasa, tibet

About poeanne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.